Ubuntu 13.04 / Parallels 8 - no menus

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DamnKelly, Apr 26, 2013.

1. DamnKelly

DamnKelly Bit poster

I've just upgraded Ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04 under the latest release of Parallels 8 on a MacBook Air running 10.8.3

On the first reboot after upgrade I had the side bar but the main screen was black. I disabled 3D acceleration under the VM settings and rebooted to just the desktop with a parallels folder (no side bar or menu). I then was able to reinstall Parallel Tools from terminal, which normally fixes things, and rebooted the VM. No dice.

Enabled 3D acceleration - same problem.

Any pointers?

2. EddieJoe

EddieJoe Bit poster

Yeah, I've got pretty much the same situation.

3. EddieJoe

EddieJoe Bit poster

Alright - well, creating a new user account, and everything seems OK. So.... some issue w/ migration from 12.0.4 to 12.10 to 13.0.4. I guess I'll try deleting prefs from the old upgraded user account, until it starts working again.

Update: Nope, couldn't figure out what to do to get the old account working again. Still waiting for a fix. Parallels tech support, private message me if you want specific log files, etc. to help narrow down what's happening.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  4. DamnKelly

DamnKelly Bit poster

Well I managed to get 13.04 running from a fresh install from the ISO image, but no joy on the upgrade.

Deleted the old one and will play with the new one.

5. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

I had the same issue after upgrading from 12.10 to 13.04. However, disabling 3D acceleration and then removing and reinstalling Parallels Tools resolved it.

6. wire

wire Bit poster

The next post has the right answer:

Get a shell:
    $
    rm ~/.config/dconf/user
    setsid unity

To get a shell, if you have access to nothing other than Parallels Shared Folders on the desktop, you can find Terminal by searching in that folders window.

Or use Parallels > Devices > Keyboard > <Ctrl><Alt><F1> to get to a console login
    -or per Mac keyboard-
    Fn + control + option + F1

To get back to Ubuntu desktop
    Fn + control + option + F7

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. Jin-wook J

Jin-wook J Bit poster

Unfortunately, 'dconf reset' solution did not work for me.
    An error occurred with 'dbus-launch blahblah: : Child process exited with code 1'..

Removal of "~/.config/dconf/user" file works, instead.

8. ManuelG

ManuelG Bit poster

Excelent.

This worked for me.
    Thanks

9. TroutDeep

TroutDeep Junior Member

Removal of "~/.config/dconf/user" (followed by a reboot) works for me as well.

Thank you!