Parallels 8 on MacBook Pro Retina using Ubuntu 13.04 - Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by LucasR, Apr 28, 2013.

1. LucasR

LucasR Bit poster

Hello,

I've successfully installed Ubuntu 13.04 with Parallels 8 on a Retina MacBook Pro.

With the Retina feature enabled in Parallels 8, screen resolution is set to 2880x1800, which makes everything look very tiny.

Has anyone found any solution to keep the retina screen resolution but at the same time scale everything bigger (i.e. icons, fonts, mouse pointer)?

I've tried changing the screen resolution to a lower value, but the mouse pointer remains very tiny. Also after rebooting, the screen resolution is reset back to the original 2880x1800.

Thanks

2. TiagoT

TiagoT Bit poster

Same thing here.

I've enabled the Retina feature in Parallels (Virtual Machine > Configure... > Hardware > Video) and I'm using the resolution 1680 x 1050 in Ubuntu 13.04. It looks fine, but the pointer is too small. Also, restarting Ubuntu resets the resolution to 2880 x 1800.

To solve the pointer size issue, I've tried the following approach: http://askubuntu.com/questions/126491/how-do-i-change-the-cursor-and-its-size. It works in a few places, but the cursor remains too small in many situations.

I've also tested VMware Fusion to make a comparison. The pointer size is fine, but the restart problem also happens. Besides, Parallels seems to perform better in some situations.

3. TiagoT

TiagoT Bit poster

Another option is using the native resolution in Ubuntu (2880 x 1800) and then changing the text scaling factor in Tweak Tool (sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool). The text in Gnome looks really sharp, but icons and text inside certain programs remain way too smaill.