BOOTMGR missing - can't get Windows to install. Please help or Parallels & Mac goes

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jenahs, May 10, 2013.

1. jenahs

jenahs Bit poster

Hi all

I've a new Macbook Pro and have installed Parallels as a trial copy. My purchase of the Mac was contingent on me being able to run a few Windows programs under Parallels or Bootcamp in particular a website construction program only available in Windows. I tried Bootcamp but my version of Windows is 32 bit and Apple recently made Macbook incompatible with 32 bit Windows under Bootcamp. I've installed Parallels as a trial version and have tried installing Windows from a disc in a Superdrive and from an ISO file and I get the same message every time - "Network bootrom is installed. Trying to boot from SATA1.... BOOTMGR missing. Press CTR+ALT+DEL to restart" If I do this it just loops around the same message over and over.

I've searched the web and this forum and can't find a resolution. My Windows disc is a genuine Vista Home Premium disc bought with a Dell PC. I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem and there must be a fix. If not, I'll have to conclude that Parallels and Mac "don't just work" and are not for me and I'll turn the lot in for a refund and make my way back to a Windows laptop with my tail between my legs. Please help.

Thanks

2. mmika

mmika Pro

Hello jenahs, your message contains a number of questions.
    Let's start from the simplest.
    It's not clear how you get your VM you are trying to install windows to.
    But it looks like you tried to import bootcamp partition.

Anyway, the problem is that your virtual HDD is not clean an contains some windows OS installed.
    So, there are two ways:
    1. You should change boot sequence and set DVD as a first device,
    or you could set checkbox "Select boot device" and VM would promt which device you want to boot from.
    Choose an option to boot from CD/DVD. This will start windows installation on top of
    your existed virtual HDD, probably destroying old virtual HDD contents.
    2. Create a new VM based on new virtual HDD, use your ISO file or DVD drive with windows media
    as virtual DVD drive. Start the VM. Windows installation will start.

There can be a problem with your Windows distributive. If it's a Dell OEM disk windows probably can not
    be installed or activated.

3. jenahs

jenahs Bit poster

Hi mmika

Thanks for the reply. In the end I upgraded to the full paid version of Parallels to get a support ticket and posted the problem to the Parallels team. I got a reply last night but had not had time to update here. I've reproduced it below for others if they get the same problem. The solution worked a treat and I have now upgraded to Windows 7 Premium under Parallels too. Thanks again
    Hello Shane,

Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

I understand that you are unable to install Windows Vista in Parallels Desktop as you are getting an error as "Boot MGR missing".

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Root cause: This error occurs only when there is problem with the Installation disk or Windows is not recognizing the CD/DVD in Windows.

Shane, please perform the steps mentioned below:

1. Please launch Parallels Desktop.

2. Now click on "File => New" on the top Mac bar.

3. Now click on "Install Windows from CD/DVD" and click on Continue.

4. Now Select "Continue without disk" and continue.

5. Now select "Like a Mac" and continue.

6. In the next window check the option "Customize settings before installation" and click on continue and wait till the configuration window pops up.

7. Now in the Configuration Window please click on "Hardware" tab and click on "Boot order".

8. Now select CD/DVD as the first boot device and check the option "Select boot device on startup".

9. Now select "Floppy disk" in the hardware tab and click on "(-)" sign to remove the hardware.

11. Now please click on CD/DVD option and select the ISO image or select the CD/DVD drive (if it is an installation disk) and close the configuration Window.

Now it start the Windows installation but make sure that you have selected the ISO image or the CD/DVD drive.

Please perform the steps and if still the issue is not resolved, then please provide us with your call back number with 2 - 3 Time Frames, so that we will take remote access to your Mac and check with this.

Based on the resolution that has been sent to you, this case will be placed in the "Pending Confirmation by Customer" status.
    If this ticket has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please feel free to reply to this email within the next 14 days and we will contact you to continue working on the case.

We appreciate your time and consideration.

Have a nice day.

4. crodman

crodman Bit poster

jenahs - THANK YOU for posting the follow up (and the fix) to your original problem. It saved me much time & headache. THANK YOU!

5. Chuckwp

Chuckwp Bit poster

this works….

Hah! It actually worked. Thanks to both of you.

Chuck