Running ESXi 5 inside Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by starless, May 28, 2013.

1. starless

starless Junior Member

Hi, I have a question for which I cannot find recent applicable answers.

Is it possible to install VMware ESXi 5 inside a Parallels Desktop 8 VM, and then create and run other VMs (e.g. Debian Linux) inside ESXi?

I successfully installed ESXi 5.1.0 in a Parallels VM, then I created a VM inside ESXi, but when I try to run it I get the following error:
    "You are running VMware ESX through an incompatible hypervisor. You cannot power on a virtual machine until this hypervisor is disabled."

This happens both with 32 and 64 bit VMs created inside ESXi.

The same operation can be done instead on VMware Fusion 4, although only 32-bit VMs can be run inside the virtualized ESXi (a different error is returned if you try to run a 64-bit machine).
    But I would prefer doing it all inside Parallels.

Is it possible, somehow?
    Thanks for any info.

2. teobabe

teobabe Bit poster

Maybe i can help to install ESXi 5.1 inside parallels 8.0, i tried to install as it was win 2012 server SO, in that way i could select the option nested VM. Now the ESXi system works and gives me the possibility to preconfigure the installation of VM x86 and x64 without showing errors. My problems is now that: i cannot add an ISO image when i configure the VM, i've tried all, but every time when the system boot, the VM power off and i can see in the event log this: MONITOR PANIC: vcpu-0:VM-entry failed; VMCS valid (error code 7), if anyone have some suggestions..

Thanks for now

3. starless

starless Junior Member

Hi, thank you for your suggestion, indeed selecting Windows 2012 Server (but it also works by selecting Windows 8) the "nested" option appears, and I do not get the warnings/errors I previously got during ESXi installation and when booting a VM inside ESXi.

But, unfortunately, I now get your same error when trying to boot from an ISO image, both for 64 and 32 bit systems.
    So the VM is actually useless.

I googled around and did some tests, with no success.
    This is getting too time-consuming so I give up, sorry.
    Luckily I have a VMware Fusion 4 license and nested VMs inside ESXi appear to work there...

Please follow up here if you work around the problem somehow, thanks.
    Marco

4. teobabe

teobabe Bit poster

Hi maybe someone tested parallels 9.0 with ESXi and VM nested inside to verify if it works?

Thanks