Solaris 11 on Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by SamirO, May 28, 2013.

1. SamirO

SamirO Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm trying to install Solaris 11.1 64-bit on Parallels 8 in Mountain Lion. I'm using the Live CD ISO downloaded from the Oracle website.

After the Boot Menu, it gets stuck on a black console screen, and it only shows the following text and freezes.

Code:
    SunOS Release 5.11 Version 11.1 64-bit
    Copyright (c) 1983, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
    I have tried quite hard to get it to work - I've restarted the VM several times, I've deleted and recreated the VM. I've tried setting the "operating system" option of the VM to all possible versions of Solaris. Yet it still freezes up.

I can confirm that there's nothing wrong with the image file, since I've used the same file to install Solaris 11 in VirtualBox.

It's a shame it's not working, since the Parallels Desktop page clearly states that Solaris 11 64-bit is supported. VMware and VirtualBox both run Solaris 11 flawlessly. Too bad VMware Player isn't available for Mac OS X.

Any ideas on how I can get it to work? Any Parallels support person here?

Thanks and regards,
    Samir.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. SakibS

SakibS Hunter

3. SamirO

SamirO Bit poster

???

Thanks for your reply, but if you're trying to point me to the part with the network settings, I've already done that. I've set the networking mode to Bridged.

It's been recommended here too. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/html/820-7799/parallels.html

In case my post didnt make it clear, I can't even get past the boot screen of the live CD, much less install the OS and drivers.

4. JamesRT

JamesRT Bit poster

Hi Samir,

In the VM configuration, under "Options" and the "Optimization" page, make sure that "Show battery status in Solaris" is UNCHECKED. I've found that if this is checked, then Solaris fails to boot correctly, both in Solaris 10 and Solaris 11.

James

5. Thomas von Rymon-Lipinski

Thomas von Rymon-Lipinski Bit poster

Hi Samir,

I can approve the described solution of James. I had the same behavior like you. After unchecking "Show battery status in Solaris", the installation worked.

Regards,
    Thomas

6. ZBoater

ZBoater Member

Thanks James. This solutions worked for me. I was having the same problem.

7. JamesRT

JamesRT Bit poster

...and FYI, it turns out that in Parallels Desktop v9 this has been fixed; you no longer need to uncheck "show battery status" in Solaris VMs under Parallels v9.