Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_SHARING_VIOLATION (0x80021037)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bleistift, Jul 12, 2013.

1. bleistift

bleistift Bit poster

I just installed the latest version of Parallels 8 on my MBA 11 Mid-2011 running OS 10.8 Prior to installing Parallels, I have a fully functioning Boot Camp installation with Windows 8 on a properly configured MBR/GPT partitioned hard disk.

I did not see the option for Creating a new VM using the Boot Camp Partition, so I followed instructions to create a new VM without a disc and then during Configuration changed it to my Boot Camp partition, which Parallels did see.

Everything was going smoothly so far. I booted into Windows 8, and after waiting a minute or so, I get this error:

Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.
    A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for this disk.

Clicking on More details... I get

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_SHARING_VIOLATION (0x80021037)
    Path: '/Users/james/Documents/Parallels/Windows 8.pvm/APPLE SSD TS128C (disk0).hdd'

I checked Get Info and I do have read/write permission to my Boot Camp partition.

I already filed a problem report, ID# 26663183

It seems like others have had this error message, but those threads had no responses. Can someone from Parallels please have a look? Thanks!

2. PerttuH

PerttuH Bit poster

I had the same error when upgrading from version 9 to 10 (Win 7 pro). Repairing permissions didn't help. I turned off all sharings between mac and win and then it worked.

3. Heathy65

Heathy65 Junior Member

Doing "Action" / "Reset" for the given VM fixed it for me.

4. DanielB20

DanielB20 Bit poster

Same error here, years later still not fixed obviously

5. Hi DanielB20. Please provide the macOS version and the Parallels Desktop version.

6. DanielB20

DanielB20 Bit poster

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 and Parallels Version 14.1.0 (45387)

But meanwhile, I get this error message:
    "Die Konfiguration Ihrer Boot Camp-Partition wird nicht unterstützt.
    Vergewissern Sie sich, dass sie entsprechend den Apple-Anforderungen konfiguriert wurden, und versuchen Sie es erneut oder wählen Sie eine andere Art zum Installieren von Windows."

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DanielB20, please reproduce the issue and reply us with a Technical Data ID collected from the terminal command: prlsrvctl problem-report --send

8. DanielB20

DanielB20 Bit poster

When I try to reproduce it, it now says
    "Die Festplatte der Boot Camp-Partition konnte nicht konfiguriert werden.
    Bei der Konfiguration der Festplatte ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Achten Sie darauf, dass Sie die Lese-/Schreibrechte für diese Festplatte besitzen."
    The problem report was successfully sent with id: 289743551

9. Have you installed Windows in the BootCamp partition using the BootCamp installation assistance or with the help of third party application?