Can't seem to update Parallels Tools for downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 VM

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BarttS, Aug 23, 2013.

1. BarttS

BarttS Bit poster

MBPro with retina display, running Parallels 8.

I recently applied Parallels Build 8.0.18608. This week, the local news had a brief story on the Ubuntu Edge CrowdFunding effort and I thought the concept of a palm sized device that could replace a desktop, and double as a phone that can operate on GSM & CDMA was kind of nifty. I remembered that the VM setup in Parallels had an option for an Ubuntu VM, so I decided to kick the tires.

I downloaded the Ubuntu VM, but the resolution settings aren't very usable (due to the retina display) and I can't seem to get the resolution settings to stick. I'm not using Full Screen mode. Every time I set resolution, the Ubuntu desktop shrinks & when I try to stretch it, the resolution increases right back to where it was before I made the change.

I noticed the message at the bottom of the screen that Parallels Tools needs to be updated, but when I try to do that, I simply get what I would describe as a folder explorer view (Microsoft terminology since I don't know what the Linux world calls it). I click on an Install icon, but I get no response.

The Parallels forums that I found were far more advanced in Linux terminology than I can follow & the only other thing I found was a YouTube video in German and I don't know German. I tried to follow as best I could, but still no joy.

Can someone provide me with some good instructions on how to update Parallels Tools for the Ubuntu VM? I'm a reasonably savvy Windows user (still learning Mac), but know next to nothing about Linux, so you may have to speak slowly & use really small words. ;-)