Parallels 9 Excel will not open file when double clicking on file icon in Finder

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Davidiii, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Davidiii

Davidiii Bit poster

In version 8 I was able to click on the file icon in finder and excel would open and display the desired Excel file. In version 9 the file does not open. I need to open the file from within Excel. Is is inefficient and not desirable. Am running in coherence. How do I reconfigure so I can click on the file in Finder and it opens in Excel? Even if I use the open with Excel option it fails.

2. kultaras

kultaras Bit poster

I have the same problem, in version 8 I used to be able to right click and select Open With and select a Windows application, now I need to exit Coherence, open the file in Windows, then enter Coherence again. I mainly use this with Windows Photo Viewer but I have the same problem with any "Open With" application. This is a feature of Parallels I use every day and want to have working again.

3. reginald.pipecleaner

reginald.pipecleaner Bit poster

I am also encountering this - seems to be general for opening Windows programs from Finder. I am using older OS on both sides:
    MAC: 10.6.8
    VM: XP Pro SP3 (Office Pro 2010)

Tried this fix from the KB for Parallels 7, but it did not work for me: http://kb.parallels.com/en/113414

4. GarciaLLC

GarciaLLC Bit poster

I am also having the same issue with Parallels 9 not launching any Windows applications from the Mac Finder. It doesn't matter if it's in coherence mode or not; I have to open the Windows program first and then open the file I want to work with. Very annoying for an "upgrade" to break such a fundamental feature. I am on the latest OS X Mountain Lion and using a Windows XP VM. I had no issues with Parallels 7 or 8. I used the "report a problem.." feature; hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Edit: MarcelloS posted the solution in another thread. You have to disable the "Shared Cloud" feature and the problem will be fixed.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...10-Applications-from-Open-With-menu-in-Finder

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  5. PSUBill8191

PSUBill8191 Bit poster

I have had this problem with several versions of Parallels. It seems that other MS Programs are recognized but Excel appears as a generic Windows icon and requires one to open Excel and then open the file within the program. I haven't found a fix.