Upgrade to Parallels 9 Broke the Windows 8 Graphics

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by McAravey, Sep 5, 2013.

1. McAravey

McAravey Bit poster

So I just upgraded from Parallels 8 to 9. Earlier today my existing Windows 8 VM was working just fine, but now after upgrading the graphics are all messed up on the VM. Yet oddly enough the desktop is alright for the most part (some minor flickering with the triangles like we see in the Metro screen). I rebooted the VM, I rebooted the Macbook Air (10.7.4), I went through all of the options and I still can't find anything that might have done this. If anyone knows what happened and can help me fix it I would be extremely grateful. Thanks :)

Screen Shots:
    Parallels Picture.png Parallels Picture 2.png Parallels Picture 4.png Parallels Picture 6.png

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Oops... This is an old Intel HD4000 bug which was fixed in 10.8.3 thus the workaround was removed from PD9. We'll add it back in an update.
    What you can do now is to set VM Configuration > Hardware > Video > 3D acceleration to DirectX 9.

3. McAravey

McAravey Bit poster

Yep, that did the trick :) Everything is back to normal now. Thanks a lot serv.

4. DreamcatF

DreamcatF Bit poster

Hello there! I seem to be having a similar experience. Except it's even worse situation, with an even older graphics chipset. If you are regressing workarounds for Intel IGP, please also consider anything that will help the GMA950 on older Macs.

OS X is already fully upgraded to 10.7.5 Lion - this is the maximum OS X version that can run on a Mac with GMA950 graphics.

Problem:

"Parallels Display Driver" fails to load with any form of DirectX acceleration. If selected (either DX9 or DX10 in the Settings) - an error icon is shown in Device Manager next to the "Parallels Display Driver" entry. The nearby VSync option still "works" (enabling vsync checkbox doesn't break the parallels display driver).

Perhaps similar regression fixes are possible? Please do whatever you can to bring back any such missing workarounds / Intel IGP fixes to affect GMA950 and similar (HD3000). And maybe we can have it working again. Many thanks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. serv

serv Forum Maven

Parallels Desktop doesn't support 3D acceleration on Intel GMA 950 since version 8.

6. DreamcatF

DreamcatF Bit poster

But why, serv? It would be useful to have more of an explanation on the technical side. For example, perhaps can I transplant my old version of the same "Parallels Display Driver" from my previous PD7 into PD9? (like manually reinstall / force revert the lower version from inside the windows device manager). Would that boot up ok? Any other compatibility / technical obstacles - or other lost functionality that I might have to sacrifice? Are they even binary run-time compatible? (the PD tools 7 display driver <-> PD9).

Anything would be better than nothing. Even if not officially supported. Now that I've already installed PD9 over PD7 it would be a real shame to have to go back to a world of non-accelerated graphics. Not to mention the Windows 8 compatibility / Coherence mode.

Kind Regards.

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

GMA 950 can not be used for 3D acceleration no matter what. It's simply too old and below base functionality level that PD8/9 expects.
    To get Parallels display driver loading in Windows 8 you should disable 3D acceleration for the VM. Coherence will work this way albeit slowly.