It says that I've got an illegal copy of Windows

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Chrras, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Chrras

Chrras Bit poster

Hi! First of all, I don't know where this post should go, but i posted it here ;)

I think it might been a month ago since I bought Parallels and a Windows 7 licence key (didn't want Win8, I think its very bad).
    I bought it so I could use of my education programs (like MathCath) but I haven't started using that program yet, and only used Parallels a few times. But today, when I opened Parallels, it said in the bottom right corner that I've got an illegal copy of Windows, and a popup window said the same.
    I clicked on the link on the popup window, and it linked me to Microsoft's website. I downloaded some sort of update, and then I think that it tested my computer, but came to the odd conclusion that I have an illegal copy, and asked me what type of Windows 7 I would like to buy, and a very unhelpful support site, that I couldn't understand.
    I bought it from a big danish internet shop, so I don't think that they are trying to cheat me.

So I would like to get this sorted out. I didn't pay a lot of money to Parallels and Microsoft to get a message that says that I've got an illegal copy ;)
    Please, help me...

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Chrras,

Several questions for you:
    Are you using Bootcamp for your windows 7? If you are this could be your issue. Make sure you have parallels tool installed.

When you got the message did you re enter your Windows 7 license?

Try creating a new vm with the same copy of Windows 7 install cd using the same key.

Have you checked with the vendor that sold you the copy of Windows 7?
    As i don't live in Denmark, I am uncertain about the "big danish internet shop" policies. The vendor may have inadvertently sold you a used or expired license.

3. Chrras

Chrras Bit poster

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to answer your questions.

What is bootcamp? And how do I install Parallels tool?

I didn't get a chance to re-enter my licence key, but I went to Microsoft's website under customer service, and before I could get to that, they told me to enter my licence key. When I entered that, they said that it didn't existed.

Creating a new vm? Does that mean virtual machine? I'll try that.

Haven't checked with the vendor, I thought that it was a problem with Parallels, and therefor they wouldn't be able to do anything. I think that I will wait with contacting them, until I've tried anythinh else out.

As said, I will try to make a new virtual machine, if that is what it ment.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Yes please try and create a new virtual machine.

Boot Camp is software included with mac os so you can run compatible versions of Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Mac. Boot Camp is a partition of your hard drive, you cannot access one side from the other without a program like Parallels.

You can install or reinstall parallels tools at any time:
    Select your VM>start
    to install or renstall Parallels tools :
    next to the apple in your top menu select Virtual Machine>Install/Reinstall Parallels Tools
    View attachment 7324
    drop down information select yes
    View attachment 7325
    If you receive a message that dvd/cd drive is unavailable unselect installation media. Then retry the above steps.
    Let installation of tools complete this should only take a few minuets.

5. Edward123

Edward123 Bit poster

The best option for you is to create VM and install your windows 7 copy and use the same licence key. i got these information from one essay writing service which have number of articles related to your question.

6. LyseM

LyseM Bit poster

The best option to create a flawless academic paper is to apply for help online. There is a wide choice of services available but one should find one to ask for help and it is rather difficult to pick this one among such a variety. I suggest http://clevereditor.com/page-2 as long as it is cheap, fast and interactive, which makes it very appealing, inviting and engaging.