Upgrading bootcamp from windows 8 to 8.1, losing parallels connection

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by christomi, Oct 21, 2013.

1. christomi

christomi Bit poster

Hi,
    Windows 8.1 works ok in bootcamp (resolution just not optimized)
    deleted the previous connection (vm) from parallels to pre update bootcamp windows 8.0 following error messages when trying to launch
    Now, no way to import bootcamp as a new virtual machine (option is greyed out)
    When trying to create a new vm without dvd and then attempting to target the bootcamp partition in the advanced options, I get this error message:

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_GPT_MBR_NOT_EQUAL (0x80021065)
    Path: '/Users/christophe/Documents/Parallels/Windows 8.1.pvm/APPLE SSD TS512B (disk0).hdd'

What should I do apart from waiting for an update for parallels desktop?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. bspachman

bspachman Bit poster

Just another data point that I'm seeing the same issues with a mid-2010 MBP, Parallels 8 & Windows 8.1 on a Boot Camp partition.

rEFIt didn't seem to help--my first attempt at syncing the GPT and MBR partition tables said they were in sync, and subsequently, Win8.1 went into a "Repair Loop." I had to wipe my Boot Camp partition and reinstall Windows 8.

brad

3. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

As I had mentioned in another thread, use Disk Utility and do
    a Repair Disk on the drive (not on the volume) that has the OSX
    and Windows partition. It will repair the mapping/alignment
    issue of the MBR/GPT that was created by the 8.1 upgrade.
    Found this solution here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/11244

I did this and all is well in Bootcamp and Parallels.

4. bspachman

bspachman Bit poster

Works for me too. Oddly, the first time I did the upgrade, had the problem, and tried Disk Utility, I had no luck. The 2nd time, it worked fine. My upgrade procedure ended up being:

- Change startup disk to Boot Camp partition & reboot into Windows.
    - Perform the 8.1 upgrade (it will reboot 3-4 times doing the upgrade).
    - Test your newly upgraded Windows, then use the Boot Camp control panel to switch your boot drive back to OSX.
    - Once in OSX, (or from the Recovery partition, or a separate boot disk), run disk utility and repair the ENTIRE hard drive--not your individual partitions.

After that, Parallels 8 launched and booted my Boot Camp VM just fine (albeit complaining about an unsupported version being installed.)

Best,
    Brad

5. christomi

christomi Bit poster

After using the disk utility, I could change the target for the vm: I selected the bootcamp partition.
    Problem: windows is not starting anymore (startup problem), whether within parallels or directly from the bootcamp partition.
    Automatic repair does not work, which leaves me with the option to repair with the source installation media (usb drive or dvd)

To be continued...