Windows VM booting in Coherent mode crashes since Mac OS upgrade to Mavericks

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mwille64, Nov 1, 2013.

1. mwille64

mwille64 Member

I run a Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit VM on my Macbook Pro Retina (2012). It worked quite well, though there has always been some abnormal behaviour in Coherent mode. However, since I upgraded to Mac OSX Mavericks, the VM crashes (it actually just disappears out of memory without trace) after no more then 30 seconds or after not more than 10 mouse clicks. Doesn't matter what I do, starting an application, moving a window, clicking a button, suddenly the VM is just gone.

What I noticed is that when I try to restart the VM it looks like it tries to wake up from hibernation or sleep mode. It is not do normal booting. I need to go in the Parallels menu and shutdown (stop) the VM before restarting it. This is curious as I definitely do not send it to sleep!

Parallels does of cause detect the crash and send a report. Next time it happens I will copy the report ID and post it here.

2. mwille64

mwille64 Member

3. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Update on the crashing issue.

Coherent mode or not. Parallels crashes almost every time after my Macbook Pro Retina wakes up from sleep mode.

This is becoming really annoying as I need to suspend my VM before I can send my Macbook to sleep.

4. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Problem has been resolved by a remote clean-up and re-installation process done by Parallels support.

5. mwille64

mwille64 Member

I was a bit too fast in declaring that the issue has been resolved.

I still experience crashes of Parallels, though not as frequent as before.

Today Parallels crashed a second time since support reinstalled Parallels. The first time I didn’t record when and how it happened, this time I have. The crash occurred again after waking up OSX from sleep mode, no second monitor connected. However, just prior to sending the Macbook to sleep a second monitor was disconnected. Parallels was running in Coherent mode.

The crash occurred when I tried to select from the Windows Start bar one of the active applications (Lotus Notes). The application window appeared not on the display (I assume it was still located on its previous position on the second monitor, which was of course no longer connected). A second later Parallels crashed (as far as I recall the first crash was in almost the same situation).

So if I analyse this correctly, it seems Parallels needs some time after a 2nd monitor is disconnected to reorganise its VM windows and place them on the MacBooks screen. If the Macbook is sent to sleep before, on waking app Parallels gets mixed app with the location of its windows, causing a crash.

As said before this seems to be related to Coherent mode only using a second monitor.

6. RytasV

RytasV Bit poster

I have this exact same problem. I was actually having success with Mavericks, PD9, second monitor coherence on a non-retina macbook, but since upgrading my laptop, it crashes and logs me out when I try to run full-screen coherence on the second monitor. I have searched and played with almost every solution that may possibly be related to the problem, but to no avail. PLEASE HELP!

7. xpeditor

xpeditor Bit poster

This happens to me too. Parallels team remoted into my mac and did a few things like change memory allocation, number of CPUs and also disabled hardware acceleration on MS Office 2013 but it's happen to me twice since then. Incredibly frustrating. They sent an email shortly afterwards basically saying we've done everything we can -- wait and see if an update comes out that can fix the issue. :(

8. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Yep, same experience with Parallels support. They really tried hard I must say. But at the end I couldn't wait. I switched back to VMWare and have no longer any problems. The integration is not as smooth, but it works. The funny things is, I previously changed to Parallels for the same reasons, I had terrible problems with VMWare's previous version. I hope it doesn't continue that I need to pay renewals for two software products, just to be able to switch if one doesn't work.