VisualStudio/Resharper performance bad in Coherence, great in fullscreen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JeremyRW, Nov 7, 2013.

1. JeremyRW

JeremyRW Bit poster

Certain code navigation menus in Resharper lock up VisualStudio when in Coherence mode but not when in fullscreen.

I've tried every combination of setting to try to resolve it but have had no luck.

Has anyone solved a similar performance problem in coherence mode that didn't exist in fullscreen?

(using Parallels Desktop 9 on Mavericks on top of the line Fall 2013 macbook pro, guest os is Windows 8.1)

2. AmithG

AmithG Bit poster

3. JeremyRW

JeremyRW Bit poster

Nope, I'm still using fullscreen.

I did a screenshare with Parallels support and demoed the issue to them. They basically said that they can't fix it. The explanation was bad, but it seemed like it had to do with the speed of transmitting and interpreting UI changes between the two OSs in coherence mode is much slower than the rate at which the ui is changing on things like that resharper menu. I think jetbrains could add an option to make that menu be less spastic.

4. AmithG

AmithG Bit poster

Are you aware of any externally viewable bug report thats already been filed with Parallels? If they responded with the answer you provided, then they must have marked this as a "won't fix" issue in their issue tracker or somewhere? Is there a link to such an issue? I am trying to contact Resharper support and if I can provide them a Parallels issue ticket that already contains the relevant data, it might make things easier. Most likely, the Resharper guys must have been contacted about this multiple times now. Even then, no harm trying again.

5. JeremyRW

JeremyRW Bit poster

I can't find a public or private record of the bug report. Their support system is pretty bad. Keep us posted here on what you find out though!

6. JeremyRW

JeremyRW Bit poster

I found the private bug report, here was their summary reply after my call/screenshare....

7. AmithG

AmithG Bit poster

Hi,

I had on going support ticket with them - Parallels #1909359. However after multiple back and forth emails (with a Logmein remote session as well in between), they finally closed the ticket with (paraphrasing)

Sigh... I requested them to provide us with the relevant Bug report id in the Dev Tracker, so the next user who faces this problem can directly request an update regarding that bug. However they flatly refused without giving any reasons. Anyway, I have since then uninstalled Parallels Desktop and am using a competing product. VS + Resharper works perfectly in the competitors equivalent of Coherence mode.

8. mobrien

mobrien Bit poster

What is the "competing product"? Enquiring minds want to know.