openSUSE 13.1

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by koenwillems, Nov 19, 2013.

1. koenwillems

koenwillems Bit poster

At the moment i'm running Parallels Desktop for Mac 8.0. I've got openSUSE 12.2 running as guest OS in a VM. It gave me some headache to get things up and running, but it does.

Now, since openSUSE 13.1 is released today, i want to try openSUSE 13.1 as a guest OS.
    Does anyone has got that up and running? Is that possible with PD 8.0? Or do i have to upgrade to 9.0?

Any info and help will be much appreceated.

Cheers,

Koen Willems

2. koenwillems

koenwillems Bit poster

Nobody can confirm that openSUSE 13.1 will be running with Parallels Desktop for Mac 9.0 ?

3. dking0490

dking0490 Bit poster

I have PD 9 and have OpenSUSE 13.1 installed. However, I cannot get the video to use the correct resolution.

4. Amaresh

Amaresh Bit poster

OpenSUSE 13.1 'works' and installs on Parallel Desktop for Mac 9.0,however it is in 'windowed' mode. Cant get it to work in full screen like the Ubuntu does. Even when the VM is made to go full screen , the OpenSUSE still looks like a square window. Not a good experience. So far i tried linux mint/OpenSUSE/Ubuntu 13.04. Only Ubunto 13.04 works really well . Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10 also doesn't work smoothly.

5. WolfhardL

WolfhardL Bit poster

Parallels, Inc. Accelerated Virtual Video Adapter

The installation of openSUSE 13.1 on Paralles Desktop 8 for Mac finished successfully but openSUSE 13.1 as you write is in "windowed mode". The command lspci -nn provides the information "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller 0300: Parallels, Inc. Accelerated Virtual Video Adapter ..." . Unfortunately I did not find an information to get openSUSE 13.1 working in full screen.

6. dengler

dengler Bit poster

openSuSE 13.1 works with Parallels Version 9.0.24172.

7. koenwillems

koenwillems Bit poster

Tank you dengler for the info.
    Just to be sure: it is working full screen?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. dengler

dengler Bit poster

Yes, full support.

9. EnricoForumNickName

EnricoForumNickName Bit poster

Running openSUSE 13.1 on Parallels Desktop 9.0.24172 full screen ok.

I reinstalled Parallels Tools after upgrade from PD8, then updated SUSE, which caused Parallels Tools to complain, so re-re-installed Parallels Tools, restarted, and full screen mode automatically activated.
    Also, when installing Parallels Tools, I selected the su (root) option; the sudo option did not work for me.

10. koenwillems

koenwillems Bit poster

Since Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is now available ...
    Can someone confirm that openSUSE 13.1 will be running with Parallels Desktop for Mac 10 ?

11. koenwillems

koenwillems Bit poster

12. Gopal_Venkatesan

Gopal_Venkatesan Bit poster

I have Parallels 9 working with openSUSE 13.1. I gave Parallels 10 a try and it does work.
    However neither of them work with openSUSE 13.2. I have reached out to support team and their response was Parallels doesn't support 13.2 and I was pointed to http://kb.parallels.com/en/122662. That's a shame since the page was last updated on Sep 30th.

I tried VMWare Fusion and openSUSE version 13.2 works beautifully. I regret purchasing Parallels now.