Mavericks Upgrade Parallels Issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kjw, Nov 22, 2013.

1. kjw

kjw Bit poster

There are three different people in our office with iMacs and we all run parallels to do windows asp.net programming. Since upgrading our iMacs to mavericks, each Monday when we come in, all three of my VMs are beach balled it appears they were trying to do snapshots when it happened. If I kill the main parallels app, (not the vm processes) and restart it, I will have access to the VMs again as if they were never shut down. That doesn't always fix my problems but usually it will.

On Tuesday of this week I came in with the same problem. A light came on, it only occurs when a snapshot occurs while the iMac is locked. When I have to redo everything on Monday, the snapshots usually occur the rest of the week during business hours. On this Monday, one of my machines was not active until late afternoon. (i.e. not turned on and no snapshot was taken). It apparently attempted to do its snapshot after I left on Monday.

The other problem I have, and there is another thread on this, is the missing window problem. I am not the only one in our office that has had that either. We all run three monitors and I think that is where the problem is. Two of my vms will work as expected. View->VM will bring it to the front. The third, (not always the same vm either) will just flash the screen. Sometimes I can find the missing vm on the edge of the monitor and resize it and bring it into view. Most of the time, I can just make it the active VM, do a View-Full Screen and then set it back to windows and it will work from that point forward.

This week, one of my VMs would not work, I could set it to full screen it would come up and work full screen but as soon as I set it back to windowed mode it would go to a hidden location and not be available. I gave up and restarted. When I restarted it was still hidden, couldn't get it to come forward. Then in windows mode I noticed that between two of my monitors was a small line. I grabbed that line with my mouse and was able to pull the window from between my two monitors until it was back to normal.

2. kjw

kjw Bit poster

Bumping this to the top. We are all still having this issue. As a matter of fact it may be time to try another product. . . . what I want to know is WHY can't you have a set schedule for your snapshots and now that they are not working why do they crash my system if I am not using the machine when the snapshot is taken.

frustrated parallels user.

3. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi kjw,

Smart guard option disables automatic snapshot feature. Please follow the article below for more information:

http://kb.parallels.com/5691

Also, please update Parallels Desktop for Mac to the latest build and update Parallels Tools in your Virtual Machine.

To check for updates, please go to Parallels Desktop menu =>Check for updates.

Follow http://kb.parallels.com/4841 to reinstall Parallels Tools in your Windows Virtual Machine.

Thanks,
    Looran

4. kjw

kjw Bit poster

So seriously, after 4.5 months, the best you can come up with is to stop doing backups or update your version? Unless it was updated in this latest version that just came out then its not fixed. I will know on Monday if that resolved the issue. I expect better from Parallels.