Adding bootcamp to existing parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ThomasHick, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ThomasHick

ThomasHick Bit poster

Hey guys.

I need to install Bootcamp to run Rhinoceros and Grasshopper with full graphics support. It isn't a good idea to run these programs only on parallels. However, I am told that I need to install Bootcamp BEFORE parallels if I want them to share the same Windows copy. I already have parallels installed, along with Revit and the full Microsoft Office suite. I don't want to delete all of my installed programs to install windows onto Bootcamp. Is there anyway to salvage this without having to dig up old codes and trying to get all my software back?

My end-goal is to be able to work in Bootcamp for serious CAD and drafting software, whilst still maintaining the capability of opening these same files for viewing and light edting in Parallels while running Mac. I would be using Bootcamp ONLY for Rhinoceros Grasshopper and Revit. Excel PPT word and other microsoft applications would be run exclusively through parallels.

Thank you for your views and responses

2. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi ThomasHick,

Windows that has been installed on your Mac using Boot assistant can be migrated onto Parallels Desktop for Mac. A Virtual Machine cannot be moved on to the Boot Camp Partition of the Mac.

The programs that you currently use on your Windows Virtual Machine needs to be re-installed in the Boot Camp Windows and the data transferred. Once this is done you could Migrate your Boot Camp partition to Parallels Desktop and view files.

To know more about, installing Windows using Boot Camp assistant and migrating Windows to Parallels Desktop please see the articles below:

1. Using Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1461

2. Running Boot Camp partition with Parallels:

http://kb.parallels.com/112941

Thanks,
    Looran