Parallels (9) Display Adapter Problems on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Saladino, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Saladino

Saladino Bit poster

I am having trouble with the display on Windows 7 via Parallels 9. I have tried other operating systems and none of them have problems with their display except for Windows 7. I have checked under the device manager and discovered that it lists the display driver as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" instead of "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)". I have tried reinstalling Parallels Tools, which completes the process fine, but I end up still with the wrong driver.

How can I fix this?

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 6.09.26 PM.jpg

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

To install Parallels display driver right-click on Microsoft Basic display and select Update Driver Software... from the menu. Then press "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then "Have disk..." button. Click "Browse..." button and navigate to C:\Program Files <or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit Windows>\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Drivers\prl_dd, then double click prl_dd.inf file and click OK. Then click Next and confirm driver installation.

However, it's not normal that tools didn't install properly for you. I'd try to uninstall/reboot/install again and see what happens. If that doesn't help generate a problem report via Parallels help menu and post report ID here.

3. Saladino

Saladino Bit poster

So I have tried what you said, it says I need to restart for the new display adapter to work. I restart, but it freezes on restart. When I force shut down the virtual machine and startup again, I get an error message saying windows cannot start, and I have to restore to start it up. If I try to go ahead and start it up I just get a black screen, if I restore windows the display adapter is back to the old "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".

here is the report ID: 33551695

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Remove all text from VM Configuration > Hardware > Boot order > Boot flags and re-install tools again. The line "devices.video.pci_device_id=0x5005" that you have there is what prevents Parallels display driver to install properly.

5. Saladino

Saladino Bit poster

So, I have removed all boot flags, and reinstalled parallels tools. However, now when I try to restart after Parallels Tools, all that happens is I get a message saying windows could not start and needs to go through repair process. If I proceed with startup, I get a black screen, which I can do nothing with. It goes through repairs and then starts up, and it shows Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) under Display Adapters in the Device Manager, but it has a little yellow exclamation point next to it. The resolution still looks off too. Then a message comes up saying I must restart my computer to apply these changes. When I try to restart I get a black screen again.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  6. serv

serv Forum Maven

Update to the latest build of Parallels Desktop 9.0.24172 via Parallels Desktop menu > Check for Updates and let tools update. This should fix Windows booting problem. If the display driver still doesn't install try uninstalling-then-reinstalling tools again. If anything goes wrong again generate a new problem report and post id here.

7. Saladino

Saladino Bit poster

Okay, I have updated to the latest build, and now when I try to boot I cannot. It goes to startup repair and tries to fix any errors it finds. When it finishes it says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" says I can Send information about this problem. When I do that it says "Windows is checking for a solution to this problem. Again it says "Windows cannot repair this computer Automatically." I eventually get it to startup again by going to System Restore, the Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) now shows up under Device Manager, but it has a little yellow exclamation point. When I exit out of this it says system needs to restart for changes to take effect. I do that and end up with a blank screen. When I force it to restart, now it says it cannot start windows and I need to do a startup repair again.

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 12.40.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 1.14.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 1.24.10 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. serv

serv Forum Maven

Saladino,

I have passed your case to our support staff. They will contact you via email and offer help to fix your VM boot issues. Keep an eye on your inbox.