Parallels 9 not installing from Win 7 iso or usb

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bhorv1967, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

I'm trying to install a bootable iso or usb to a new virtual machine of Parallels 9 on OSX 10.9.1.

What's happening is Parallels finds the media during the setup of the install, but once the parameters are selected, and I press begin, Parallels displays a screen where it's trying to find an available install media, but does not find it. The installer checks the SATA ports and then network and returns an error that there's no install of Win 7 available even though it found the install in the pre-setup process.
    I've tried both an .iso in the OSX finder and a different install on a bootable USB. Neither will work.

Parallels 9 is activated. Can't figure what's going on. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. kat

kat Product Expert

[h=2]Install information from Parallels Desktop Help:

Install Windows[/h]If you have a Windows installation source (a DVD disc, an image file, or a USB storage) and a valid Windows product key, you can install Windows on your Mac and use it with Parallels Desktop.
    To install Windows:

• [*=left]Open Parallels Desktop (in the Applications folder) and choose File > New.
      [*=left]If you have a Windows installation disc, insert it into the DVD drive. If you have a USB storage with Windows, connect the storage to the Mac.
      [*=left]Click Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file.
      [*=left]Parallels Desktop scans for and lists installable operating systems. If you see the version of Windows you want to install, select it, click Continue and go to step 6.
      [*=left]If the Windows installation source didn't show up automatically in Step 4, click Locate manually to browse for it manually. You can browse from the following sources:

• [*=left]DVD: If you have a Windows DVD, insert it into the DVD drive. Once Windows is detected, click Continue. If your Mac doesn't have a DVD drive, you can use an Apple SuperDrive, another Mac's DVD drive via Remote Disc, or make an image from the disc.
        [*=left]Image File: If you have a Windows image file, click Image File and drag the image to the Parallels Wizard window. Once Windows is detected, click Continue.
        [*=left]USB Drive: If you have a bootable USB installer with Windows, click USB Drive and connect the drive to the Mac. Once Windows is detected, click Continue.Note: Parallels Desktop may fail to detect some operating systems (for example, the latest Linux distributions). If this happens but you're sure that the operating system can be installed, click Continue, specify the OS type manually (if it's not listed, choose Other), and follow the onscreen instructions.

[*=left]Be sure to leave Express installation selected.Note: If you deselect Express installation, you'll need to install Parallels Tools after the installation to allow the most seamless operation between Windows and Mac OS X.

[*=left]If you are installing a recent version of Windows, select how you want to use Windows:

• [*=left]Like a Mac: Windows programs appear on the Mac desktop, just like Mac applications. Documents and media from Mac OS X and Windows are kept together on your Mac.
        [*=left]Like a PC: The Windows desktop and programs appear in a single window, separate from Mac applications. You can drag and drop objects between Windows and the Mac.

[*=left]If you are installing Windows 8, select how you want it to work:

• [*=left]Like Windows 8: Windows 8 boots to the Start screen and Windows 8 applications run in full screen only.
        [*=left]Like Windows 7: Windows 8 boots to the desktop, Windows 8 applications run in resizable windows, and the Start menu is available.

[*=left]Choose where you want to store Windows from the Location menu.By default, Parallels Desktop stores Windows in your Documents > Parallels folder. To allow all users of your computer to have access to this installation of Windows, select Share with other users of this Mac.

[*=left]If you want to pre-set things like how much memory Windows uses or whether it starts automatically when you open Parallels Desktop, select Customize settings before installation. You can also adjust these settings after the operating system is installed.
      [*=left]Click Continue.The assistant installs Windows.
    Once Windows is installed, you can start it up by opening a Windows program or by clicking the power button in the Parallels Virtual Machines list.
    Important: The first time you start Windows, Parallels Tools are installed to allow seamless operation between Windows and Mac OS X. Once Parallels Tools are installed, you're prompted to restart Windows.
    If you didn't select Express installation in step 6 above, you must install Parallels Tools manually.
    When you install Windows, Parallels Desktop creates an administrator account with a blank password. Once the installation is complete, it is recommended that you change this password.
    Note: You can also install Windows from a disk image file of an installation disc. Simply choose the disk image file in step 4 above. Parallels Desktop supports ISO, DMG, CUE, and CCD disk images.

3. kat

kat Product Expert

I copied the entire instructions for you, please refer to the " If the Window installation source didn't show up automatically".

You should also make sure Setup.exe is on your installation media.

4. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

Thanks for the message but as I stated in my post, I have a Win 7 ISO on the desktop and also a USB with a Bootable install of Win7. Both are being automatically detected by Parallels in the setup stage, but when I click to start the install, Parallels is not able to install from either the ISO or the USB. I get an error that there's no operating system available.

I've been using parallels for years and have never seen this issue before. I'm using a MBP with osx 10.9.1.

5. kat

kat Product Expert

If your install media is correct with all files needed. Have you tried to create a vm without the os installed and then attaching the .iso image and completing the install of the os?
    screen-capture-8.jpg screen-capture-9.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

Yes I have done that. I will choose to 'Connect Image' and then nothing happens. I also checked in the CD/DVD hardware options, and the iso is indeed connected. However Parallels will not install from it. Nothing happens.

7. kat

kat Product Expert

Your installation media may be missing a file or corrupt, did you make sure when you created the bootable usb that the Setup.exe was there? You should be able to navigate to this file to start the installation.

8. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

Yes, it is indeed there. I have an install as an ISO as well as on a USB. Both will not work. Could this be a permissions issue? iso contents.jpg

9. kat

kat Product Expert

You should have administrative privileges for the install. Also try changing the boot order in configuration to USB, and then try the install after selecting the bootable usb.

Virtual Machine>Configuration>Hardware>Boot order> add the external usb device
    screen-capture-11.jpg

10. mmika

mmika Pro

bhorv1967, please generate a problem report via Parallels help menu when VM says "No boot device" and post report ID here.

11. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

Here's the report ID - 34583671.

I'm not sure what else to do. I've tried a few different options in the VM preferences, and nothing will work. Parallels does find the Win 7 iso both on my desktop (OSX 10.9.1) and on a bootable USB, but once the VM setup starts, I get a message that says there's no operating system available and the install stops.

12. mmika

mmika Pro

Unfortunately VM is stopped at the moment of problem report data gathering.
    Anyway I see that Windows 7 ISO was not connected during VM start.
    If you did as Kat pointed, i.e. connected ISO after VM told about "no boot device" at BIOS stage, you had to reset the VM or press a key (say 2 depending from boot sequence) to make another boot attempt.

So, if you start your VM right now it shall make an attempt to boot from virtual dvd.
    If it won't please got to VM configuration, setup virtual CD/DVD properly (point to ISO image and ensure that "connected" checkbox is set).
    Also you can change VM boot sequence in order to make CD/DVD drive first boot device or you can check "select boot device" checkbox.
    In case of "select boot device" option chosen after VM start BIOS will top with question about device you wish to boot from.
    Just select a proper number for "SATA optical drive #" entry.

Let's try to boot from DVD at first. There are could be a number of issues preventing to boot from USB stick.
    Also please ensure that ISO image file is a valid bootable image file as required by El Torito bootable CD specification.

If any problem will arise please generate another problem a report data and share its ID here.
    Thank you.

13. KevinGH

KevinGH Bit poster

I am having the same problem except I am trying to install windows 8. I have since gone through each of these steps except for using a bootable jump drive. I may try that next, but I still don't understand why this isn't working.

14. mmika

mmika Pro

KevinGH please provide a problem report id. I will take a look.

15. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

I've tried the above and still not able to install. I'm using a USB that has a bootable Win7 on it. I've used this same USB to install a standalone PC so I know there's nothing wrong with the USB, however when Parallels 9 begins to install, it says there's no operating system available.

Here's the report ID - 34916921

16. mmika

mmika Pro

Hi bhorv1967. As I pointed out there could be a problem with USB boot. Unfortunately, I see that one problem exists here.
    So, let back to boot from DVD. I see that "connected" checkbox is not checked for CD/DVD. VM even didn't try to boot from CD/DVD.
    Could you open VM configuration and connect CD/DVD drive. Also you can do this at state you have provided in problem report data.
    Just go to menu, choose Devices->CD/DVD->Connect. After that you need to reset the VM either pressing "Reset" button on VM toolbar(similar to VirtualMachine->Reset menu item) or press ESC key in VM. VM must be rebooted to recognize connected ISO image.

It's hard to say how to boot from USB drive... As I said it can be non trivial. It depends from USB stick HW vendor, speed of your computer etc. The problem is that USB stick is being connected to VM for a long time. And finaly BIOS stops to wait it by timeout.
    You still can get VM booted from USB.... But you need just to repeat start/stop the VM actions several times (say 10-15).
    And probably it will boot.
    I.e. start the VM, after VM said that there is no boot device stop the VM and quickly start it again. Repeat it about 10 times. I hope it help.
    Also to reduce USB stick reconginition time by VM, you can unmount USB volume from you MAC before VM start.

17. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

I'm not using a DVD. I do also have an ISO on the desktop which I tried connecting to the CD/DVD path. In the last report ID I had the CD/DVD turned off as the ISO on the desktop was not able to install Windows to the VM so I wanted to try the USB. I've made several attempts with both the bootable USB and the ISO, and nothing will work. I'm not sure why this version of Parallels is so difficult to get the VM installed, I've been using Parallels for years and never had any issues. I've always been able to put an ISO of Windows on the desktop (one that I know works as I've tested it on other machines) and Parallels would install to the VM with no issue, but with Parallels 9, I cannot get this to work. I'll try your suggestion about repeating the startup 10-15 times (shouldn't have to do that!!). I really think there's something not right in this version of Parallels as I've never had this problem in the past. I'll let you know if I was able to get it working.

18. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

As an update, I tried exactly as you described in your last post. This is still not working. I've enabled both the CD/DVD and the USB. I tried to turn off the VM once it says there's no operating system found, but every time I do that, the USB becomes unselected in the devices, and I have to select it again. Also, the Windows ISO on the desktop which is connected via the CD/DVD is also not being detected during the install phase.

Here's the latest report ID - 35074715. My feeling is there's something with OSX 10.9.1 that is preventing Parallels from working properly. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of Parallels 8 and see if that works in this environment.

19. bhorv1967

bhorv1967 Junior Member

As a final update to this issue that has not been solved, I'm convinced now there's an issue with OSX 10.9 that prevents Parallels from using an ISO that's stored on the local computer or on a USB. This was never an issue in earlier versions of OSX or Parallels, but as I tested Parallels 8 in the same environment and got the same results, I believe the issue is within OSX 10.9.

I was finally able to install windows 7 by having to create an install DVD on a PC. Perhaps Parallels will roll out an update with a fix to this problem.

20. neophyte226

neophyte226 Bit poster

I am a first time parallels user and I was able to install windows by making the usb a bootable drive.