Disc space required for Windows 7 64bit ?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JethroM, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JethroM

JethroM Bit poster

Hi there, I am running OS X Lion on a 13" MacBook Air i5 128Gb (2013).

I want to run windows 7 64bit on Parallels 9 for one or two programs that don't have native mac versions.

I have tried to set it up from my old windows machine via an external HDD, but it is saying it wants over 140Gb for the windows install! Can this be right?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind running windows off an external drive if I have to, but I'd prefer to have it all together on the mac.

Thanks in advance.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

The 140 GB is the size of the old windows machine with all that is on that machine.
    System Requirements (from Parallels.com)

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac Requirements

[HR][/HR]Hardware Requirements

• A Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor (Core Solo and Core Duo processors are no longer supported)
    • Minimum 2 GB of memory (4 GB of memory is recommended to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine or if your host OS is Lion)
    • About 700 MB of disk space on the boot volume (Macintosh HD) for Parallels Desktop installation
    • About 15 GB of disk space for each virtual machine

Your virtual machine should only be about 8 to 10 GB with an expanding hard drive. I do use an external hard drive with my macbook Air then I don't have to worry about space. But for some it is a hassle to carry around another piece of equipment.

Hope this information helps you. :)

3. JethroM

JethroM Bit poster

Thanks! I suspected this might be the problem.

How do I set up a clean windows install from the old PC, without including all the old PC's junk?