Parallels Mounter hangs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by geychaner, Sep 5, 2008.

1. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

Mac OS 10.5.4, Parallels Desktop build 5608

When attempting to mount a Linux or DOS hard drive from the command line, e.g.:
    open -Wa "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Mounter.app" $HOME/Parallels/SciLinux/redhat.hdd
    Parallels Mounter hangs with a spinning beachball. (Yes, that's the right directory for the VM.) Activity Monitor shows two processes Not Responding, "Parallels Mounter", and "open". Using Force Quit on Parallels Mounter opens the "Problem Report" window, which I have attached the contents of. In addition, a "Parallels Explor" process has to be killed to allow access to the hard drive. The drive seems to work find in the Virtual Machine, and from Parallels Explorer; it's only Parallels Mounter that has a problem.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

are they mounting from ctrl+click in Finder?

3. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

They mount fine when I double-click (or control-click or right-click and select "Open").
    They will mount from the Terminal if I do something sneaky like:
    osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to open "xxx.hdd" in folder ...'
    It's only the "open" command from Terminal that hangs Parallels Mounter.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. John@Parallels

I will clarify the correct command line and reply back

5. John@Parallels

Use command like this
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Mounter.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels\ Mounter /Users/johnmcgakh/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft\ Windows\ XP/winxp.hdd

6. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

Same behavior. But I figured it out; one of the applications I installed seems to have installed a library that Parallels isn't happy with. I'm not sure which library, so I'm simply not installing the application for the time being until I figure it out. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

7. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

It appears, as best I can tell, that Parallels Mounter is picking up the wrong copy of libgcc_s.1.dylib due to a DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable one of my applications uses.

8. John@Parallels

9. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

Nope. In fact, for other reasons, I wound up reinstalling my whole machine, and it still didn't help. For whatever reason, Parallels Mounter from the command line picks up the library from the wrong place when DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH is defined.

10. John@Parallels

Probably you are installing software I do not have, and this may cause such behavior

11. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

Yes, the package at fault is a science package called Scisoft.

12. John@Parallels

It looks that this software overwrites system settings.
    The best way is to submit this problem to them