Firewire support for Parallels Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Specimen, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Desktop supports USB routing to the Virtual Machines, what I'm asking is the same but for Firewire, specifically for external drives, since I use external Firewire drives (Firewire 800) and I have to switch to USB (if they support USB also) to use inside the VM, if PDM supports Firewire than it would work much more smoothly.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Specimen , currently we are planning support for Intel Vt-d devices in Parallels Server and probably in PD4 (still no exact decision)

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That would mean direct I/O access to all devices. I wonder if Core 2 Duo T7700 (Meron, 2.4Ghz) supports VT-d also (besides VT-x). From the Intel documents I know x8xxx (Penryn) supports it, just unsure about x7xxx (which supports VT-x).

So, if T7700 doesn't support VT-d does that mean I will never have Firewire support on a virtual machine for my MacBook Pro (unless I buy a new one, which I don't intend to do in the short to medium future)? :/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. psenough

psenough Bit poster

actually i was hoping for firewire support to also use external soundcards, pd already recognizes mac osx firewire soundcard input and outputs but the latency is just like using the internal soundcard.. i can only assume the ac97 driver is throwing calls to the internal soundcard instead of routing to the selected output of parallels desktop.. would be nice to use professional music software without lag/chops where external soundcard available..

5. TAYLORMADESYSTEM

TAYLORMADESYSTEM Bit poster

So does PD4 handle the firewire port for a use of an external sound card?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Nop, firewire for no is not supported n any virtualization solution

7. psenough

psenough Bit poster

neither does vmware as far as i been checking.
    maybe it would be good marketing strategy to push to work state in parallels *wink wink nudge nudge*

not just external soundcards but also plenty of videocams and such stuff needs these connections, firewire harddrives can get mapped on shared folders but all this other hardware gets completly useless with this limitation. it really sucks that it aint available :(

8. ConradS

ConradS Bit poster

Need Firewire for Nikon film scanners

High-end Nikon film scanners (Coolscan 4000 5000, 8000 and 9000) use firewire connectors exclusively. It's possible to modify Nikon film scanning software for Windows 7, but it will not work with any recent Mac OS.

9. SteckDEV

SteckDEV Bit poster

Firewire

I just bought a drive specifically to use the firewire with the MAC. Since I wanted to host the VM from another drive to maximize performance only to find out I can't do that! Please get it integrated to windows parallel 7.

10. chrisdas

chrisdas Bit poster