VirtualBox running in parallel with Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by anycast, Jan 30, 2014.

1. anycast

anycast Junior Member

Hi,

Is there any fix on the roadmap regarding the incompatibility between VirtualBox and Parallels. VirtualBox runs fine with Fusion, the devs from VirtualBox say they're doing everything by the book, but Parallels' only explanation on this issue seems to be to blaming others for the problem (http://kb.parallels.com/en/115966). Parallels has access to VirtualBox's code. Couldn't you take a look at the code to come up with a fix? I've been a Parallels user since v4 and right now I'm considering to move to Fusion because of this.

Cheers,
    Alex

2. ngocphamm

ngocphamm Bit poster

I also want an answer on this problem. Parallels is very nice addition for my my need of Windows boxes sometimes but recently there're many practices that utilize VirtualBox (Vagrant, Docker, etc.). I'm a developer so being able to apply those trending practices would be great. However, because of this "ambiguously explained" problem, I cannot use VirtualBox (as I'm still having to work with the Windows boxes at the same time).

Please at least have a roadmap, or best, a fix for this as soon as possible.

Best,
    Ngoc

3. elufimov

elufimov Bit poster

And I also want an answer on this problem.

4. anycast

anycast Junior Member

I opened a ticket with Parallels and got a very politically correct answer stating that they know the issue, that my voice is heard, that they have no idea when it's going to be fixed and that they hope that I'll continue to be a valued customer. Yeah, right. Switching over to VMWare.

5. PugMug

PugMug Bit poster

Anyone know if this issue has been fixed in v10?

6. anycast

anycast Junior Member

Switched to VMWare Fusion and couldn't be happier. Much faster than Parallels (Mac Pro 4,1 with two 2.226Ghz Xeons and 64Gb RAM), stabler, much better support and no problems like this one.

Parallels was once a good company, now they're arrogant and try to sell new software to their customers again and again. Each time a new Mac OS version appears you're almost certain to have to upgrade Parallels. No such issue with VMWare.

I also got fed up with the Adware that started appearing every now and then when I started a VM in Parallels.

7. ngocphamm

ngocphamm Bit poster

Just installed PD10 and it seems that I can run both VirtualBox machine and Parallels machine at the same time.

VirtualBox_and_ParallelsDesktop.png

8. Yes, Parallels Desktop 10 doesn't conflict with VirtualBox anymore and it is possible to run both at the same time.

To ngocphamm:
    By the way, if you are using Vagrant, check out the Parallels provider for it: http://parallels.github.io/vagrant-parallels/
    May be you don't need to use VirtualBox for this anymore.