Parallels Desktop 9 for mac and Directx11

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DominusNox, Jan 31, 2014.

1. DominusNox

DominusNox Bit poster

Where's dx11? when dx11 instructions will be implemented? don't tell me that i wasted 80CAD.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi DominusNox,

Parallels Desktop 9 currently supports DirectX 9 and 10 only.

Our development team is constantly working on the product improvements and we will let them know about your feature request.

Thanks,
    Manoj.

3. IND-BorG

IND-BorG Bit poster

Is there an update on the DirectX 11 front? I bought an incredibly overpriced IMac to get rid of my windows PC and now virtualization of my windows games does not work. I am disappointed...

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The features page is very clear about direct x 9 and 10 support. I suggest you use Windows in Bootcamp for Direct X 11 support.

5. solus

solus Member

What feature page are you referring to? The product overview only mentions DirectX 9, and that's hidden unless you expand the "Visually Stunning" section. (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/)

If there is a more detailed list of product features, I would be interested in checking it out.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes that's the list, I do not agree it's hidden, you just can't put everything in the same page, the amount of features PDM have is rather big, directx version is a much more technical thing, there has to be an hierarchy.
    And as you can see it's clear it doesn't mention directx 11, my reply should be seen in context of the whole thread.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. solus

solus Member

Thanks for the quick response. We'll just have to disagree about whether it's hidden or not. By definition, if something is not in direct sight, it's hidden. Just as a movie spoiler might be hidden until you click a "show spoiler" link. That's like saying a house key under a rock isn't hidden.

Anyhow, that wasn't my point. You specifically said, "the features page is very clear about direct x 9 and 10 support." The page I linked to only mentions DirectX 9.0c/9Ex support.

Since you mentioned that a page was "very clear" about supporting both DX9 and DX10, I assumed you might have been referring to another page or feature list. I would have been interested in such a list, regardless of its size.

Thanks, again.

8. TronsterH

TronsterH Bit poster

In the past Parallels has been absolutely amazing (and essential) for my workflow. But last month I tried running an OpenGL 3.x app and that was a non-go. Today I tried running a DirectX 11 game and same deal.

OpenGL 4.4 is out today and Parallels has yet to support OpenGL 3.0 which came out 6 years ago.
    Microsoft has announce DirectX 12 in March and Parallels hasn't supported DirectX 11 which came out 5 years ago.

Regarding Bootcamp: I purchased Parallels licenses so I wouldn't have to use Bootcamp; it's not a solution, at least for workflows requiring both Mac OS X and Windows up at the same time.

The requirements of the software I'm using now are at the point that whoever has either of these graphics offerings (OpenGL 4.x, DirectX 11), I would migrate to their solution next upgrade cycle.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Problem is, it's not exactly straightforward to support these standards in a virtual machine, of course both Parallels and VMWare are both eager to reach there first, and Parallels as always been one step ahead in terms of graphic performance and support.

10. TronsterH

TronsterH Bit poster

Specimen, you are right, this is in no way an easy task; as a programmer I recognize this fact. As a consumer, I don't care as to the level of difficulty for DirectX11 or OpenGL 4.x features to be implemented; I just care that other software I'm running requires these, without a DirectX 9/10 or OpenGL 2.1 fallback. With each new program that chooses to not support 5+ year old APIs, Parallels becomes less useful.

I haven't seen a roadmap or PR release from Parallels (or a competitor) to back up this claim. If you know of such a roadmap, please post a link to it.

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Wow, I must says it's getting a bit uncomfortable for me, that the last two commenters 'demand' that I backup my 'claims'. Sorry to disappoint you people, this is just an informal exchange of points of view, not a court session. It's just common sense, for me, and looking back at the history of virtualisation (I've been using virtualisation products for more than 12 years), that there is an ongoing arms race for graphics virtualisation.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  12. solus

solus Member

Wow. I'm sorry to read that you're feeling uncomfortable. I assume I'm one of those making "demands" that your "claims" should be factual.

If you actually reread the conversation, you might recognize that my original post was simply a request for more information. Your curt reply to the original poster led me to believe you might actually be aware of some feature list that I hadn't seen. Clearly, you have no such information. As you can see in my original post, it's clear the "feature list" you're referring to doesn't even mention DirectX 10, despite your claim. My reply should be seen in the context of the whole thread.

Regardless of what you might believe, people do actually want to know the capabilities of software they're investing in. It's daft to claim that information regarding supported DirectX versions is too technical and somehow less important. It's not technical; it's a marketing point.

I too have been using virtualization software for many years, and Parallels since version 3. There's one thing I've noticed in pretty much every review of VM software I've read since then, and that's how well it handles host applications. Look at any review or comparison of VMware and Parallels from recent years, and they ALL cover graphics and DirectX support. It doesn't matter how "technical" a DirectX version might seem, it's information people DO want to know.

I understand you're a fan of Parallels. So am I. But, curt and argumentative replies probably aren't the best way to gain new supporters. I naively joined this thread looking for a more detailed features list, because I was considering upgrading to Parallels Desktop 9. All I learned is that I shouldn't bother asking certain questions, because they might be considered too demanding by a so called product expert. Wow.

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I'll just remind you that this thread is about the 'surprise' someone had of PDM 9 not supporting DX11. However, the features list, which is publicly available, says what versions of DX it does support.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  14. solus

solus Member

I'll just remind you that the features list you claim to be referring to (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/) does not say which versions of DirectX are supported. It merely states that is supports DirectX 9.0c/9Ex. It makes no mention of DirectX 10, which we all know is supported. One might assume, perhaps as the original poster did, that since DirectX 10 is supported but excluded from the page, DirectX 11 might be as well, given it's age.

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

DX10 support is still experimental (this is referred in the selection box), Is there a specific question you want to ask?

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  16. MichalH

MichalH Bit poster

Hi Specimen,

is there any hope for Open GL 4.x support anytime soon or in the near future? I am using Autodesk Building Suite software on Parallels 9 and ReCap needs Open GL 4.x, but only v.3 is supported... So I have to keep another PC by side...

Mike

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I do not have such roadmap information.

18. roswell108

roswell108 Bit poster

So if I am following all of this:

Win7 lists DX11 as installed, but that's hoopla because DX11 is SOL

Specimen is a self-proclaimed help desk, but doesn't have official answers

So to summarize: There is no support for modern virtual machines, but you can keep buying the updates for the program

19. FiliaGri

FiliaGri Bit poster

Any update on the DirectX11? It seems to be conflicting with the Win7 i am running!

20. TronsterH

TronsterH Bit poster

Just got an e-mail for "Parallels Desktop® 10 for Mac". I'm not excited for features I'd need to profile to see if true. (e.g., 30% longer battery life, and will I get anywhere near 50% faster compilations when using Visual Studio under parallels, etc...?)

The bullet points I'm (still) waiting for before considering an update to a new version are:
    - DirectX 11 support
    - OpenGL 4.x support