Using VPN to Access Files on VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidLayfield, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DavidLayfield

DavidLayfield Bit poster

Here's my use case.

We use Parallels mainly for QuickBooks 2014 for Windows. There are 2 Macs (an iMac and my MacBook) in the office (each running Parallels). The iMac VM hosts the QB company file (QB requires the company file to be stored on a computer that runs QuickBooks -- this means I can't host the QB file on the iMac's HD, it must be on the VM's C drive).

So, when both machines are in the office, all I have to do is select Bridged Network (on both VM's) and the MacBook VM sees the iMac's VM just fine and can open the QB company file through the network.

The problem comes in when I try to access the QB company file from another location using VPN. We have a SonicWall router and are using SSL VPN with NetExpander. Since now the MacBook VM is on shared to allow the VM and Mac to share the VPN connection, the two VM's don't see each other.

I can connect the MacBook to the iMac, but not the VM on the iMac. I can map a drive from the iMac to Finder on the MacBook. I can map a drive from the iMac to the MacBook VM. What I can't do is map a drive from the iMac VM to the MacBook VM. Since QuickBooks requires the company file be hosted on a machine running QB (the iMac) it can't be moved over to the Mac side (which I can access).

Since my understanding is that the VM's C drive doesn't actually appear in the file structure I can see when I map the iMac (Mac side) to the MacBook VM, I can't get to the file I need.

So close but so far.

Any ideas? I'm a novice, so there's probably something easy that I have overlooked.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi DavidLayfield,

This issue seems to be related to a firewall blocking the VPN. Please contact the system administrator to create exceptions for both the Virtual Machine to connect via VPN.

You can also follow this link below for information after you contact your system administrator:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/117112

Thanks,
    Looran