Access encrypted and permission restricted files

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NickWol, Feb 10, 2014.

1. NickWol

NickWol Bit poster

My much loved 2006 sony PC eventually died so to access the drive (undamaged and windows XP) on my mac I am using parallels 9. It works really well for most software and uses like email, but I had encrypted some of my finance spreadsheets (standard encrypting file system on XP). Unsurprisingly Parallels does not recognise this encryption and so tells me I have no access rights and will not load docs (even though I am logged in as I would have on the PC).

My PC is dead - is there any way to access these files without expensive repairs on a laptop that is past its sell by date?

2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

3. NickWol

NickWol Bit poster

Ecrypted files recovered

Thanks for advice... Parallels saved the day as it enabled me to export my encryption keys even though it woukld not read the files. The next stumbling block was that it took time for me to realise that although Windows 7 home and Vista home (my other two machines) WILL correctly import the keys - because the home products do not support encryption they still will not open the encrypted files! This cause many hours of 'what am I doing wrong' time waste.

I borrowed another computer with XP professional and hey presto (obviously being careful to remove the keys afterwards!)

I am now proud owner of surface 2 pro and all files are safe / sound / re encypted and usable.