PD and "Internet Sharing"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sruggiero, Jun 26, 2006.

1. sruggiero

sruggiero Bit poster

Hello,

I installed XP Pro in PD, everything works fine - but there is an issue with the internet connection I am not able to solve:

I use a MacBook Pro and do often have to switch network settings to access different networks. In OSX, this is very easy using the location manager. Now I'd like to configure XP to use the Mac's internet connection as a proxy for the internet access. Additionally, I want the VM to have an own IP to access other machines on the local net.

So I used "Bridged Ethernet" on en0 (Enthernet Adapter) as the VM's network mode, then I assigned it an IP from the same subnet the OSX machine is in. I switched on "Internet Sharing". In the Internet Connection Settings (XP) I gave the OSX IP with port 80 as a proxy.
    As a result, every internet access attempt gives me the default apache welcome page of the OSX web server installation!

Obviosly, I am doing something wrong - but I did not find a solution - maybe someone can help me out?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Stephan

2. bartho

bartho Member

You're trying to use the Mac as a http proxy, which isn't what "Internet Sharing" in Mac OS X does. Instead, you should configure Windows so that the default route ("default gateway") is the Mac's IP if you want all (external) Internet traffic to go through Mac OS X.

I'm guessing you want Windows to get an IP on an internal network but not on an external, the Mac being connected to both. If not, why not let Windows use the same default route as Mac OS X?