Upgraded and Guest OS (Mac Mavericks) no longer adjust resolution in full screen

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by rcstevensonaz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. rcstevensonaz

rcstevensonaz Junior Member

I run a Mavericks Guest OS. I have external monitor 1920x1068 Samsung SynchMaster 2494 connected to Thunderport. I have now reinstalled Parallel Tools multiple times including while GuestOS is running on the external display monitor.

Yesterday, the guest would automatically adjust screen resolution whether I was just maximizing the window or going into full screen mode.

But today, after applying the update (9.0.24217), my GuestOS is no longer adjusting the resolution. My configuration is set for video memory = 128Mb* and for Full Screen mode.

Any idea what setting got messed up in this upgrade?

Thanks, Craig

* Bonus question: why does the GuestOS crash anytime I try to set video memory to 256?

2. newMacPro

newMacPro Bit poster

This is a new "feature" of the updated version of Parallels. Unbelievably lame and a huge step backwards. I use Parallels on a 2560 X 1440 pixel monitor and it does not go full screen. It obviously needs more memory to go full screen on larger monitors. It does not appear that they have any intention of fixing this.

See http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...-2-Guest-Crashes-with-Video-Memory-over-64-MB

Per Parallels:

"3D acceleration is not supported in OS X Virtual Machine, therefore assigning more than 64 MB of video memory would result in overload, and may cause Virtual Machines to crash on some Macs.

More info available @ http://kb.parallels.com/120390

Thanks,
    Looran"

3. rcstevensonaz

After playing around a bit more, I notice that the GuestOS is being forced to stay within a 4:3 aspect ratio.

- In Full-Screen mode, I get the vertical letterbox lines.
    - When the GuestOS is a window, I can resize the window but the 4:3 aspect ratio remains fixed

I did not have this issue before the upgrade. Any idea what setting(s) I have to adjust to allow the GuestOS to use wide-screen aspect (e.g. 1920x1080, etc.)?

As an aside, I can set memory to 128Mb (not larger) and that was also the case before upgrade. Except a few days ago it would go into full screen at full wide-screen resolution}

4. Mac Youser

Mac Youser Bit poster

I am having a similar issue with my MBP 15in. When I run the guest OSX it has super low resolution and a 4:3 ratio. Have you found any cure?

5. rcstevensonaz

Nope.

One could hear a pin drop in the deafening silence of support... broken only occasionally by additional pins dropping when others reply to say they have the same issue.

6. Zeus11

Zeus11 Bit poster

I have the exact same issue and it's driving me crazy. Any solution on this yet?

7. PhilB2

PhilB2 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Just purchased Parallels 9 today to test Mavericks. Unable to get a sane resolution regardless of what I select in System Preferences for display. Under "Scaled" btw, the correct resolution for my monitor is not even shown. (1440x900). Fullscreen gives the letterboxing.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If Parallels Tools are correctly installed and updated this is probably related to the fact that there is no hardware acceleration in OS X guests.

9. Chris Gleason 27

Chris Gleason 27 Bit poster

Is it possible to download the previous version? Link?

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The link is in my signature.

11. Anto80

Anto80 Bit poster

I am having the same low resolution issue now with PD9.

I initially tried installing Mavericks on latest version of PD8 but wasn't working since I removed the internal DVD drive in my MBP and kept getting an error message that I don't have a valid external drive, even though I was choosing the image file to boot from.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. I thought that increasing the video memory might help but can't even access them, for some reason the video hardware settings section say "Not available for this guest operating system".

Does anyone know if this issue is addressed in other VM software like Fusion 6 or VirtualBox?

No support or comment yet from PD.. I'm glad I tried the free upgrade before paying for the $50 upgrade to PD9!

12. Jeremy Gugenheim

Jeremy Gugenheim Junior Member

This is insane! I tried to create a PD9 VM for Mountain Lion so that I can use Apple's DVD Studio Pro 4 which no longer works under Mavericks only to find video configuration is "not available for this guest OS" so the DVDSP4 thinks I have 0MB video RAM and won't run. Great. So I have had to create a second partition on my hard disk and installed ML into that. What a pointless situation - not why I bought Parallels!

As an aside, the help on installing Mountain Lion leaves out the very important point that you CANNOT use a bootable data key, even though the file name on the key is the same as the one described. You MUST download the single ML installer file from the App Store.

Thanks for wasting a whole day of my time on these two, Parallels.