9.0.24217 update breaks git clone on shared FS (Ubuntu 13.04 and Ubuntu 13.10)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by tafkaks, Mar 21, 2014.

1. tafkaks

tafkaks Bit poster

Running a fresh git clone on the host share is broken with this update:

git clone git@github.com:stevenosloan/slack-notifier.git
    Cloning into 'slack-notifier'...
    remote: Counting objects: 155, done.
    fatal: Unable to create temporary file '/media/psf/Home/develop/slack-notifier/.git/objects/pack/tmp_pack_XXXXXX': Cannot allocate memory
    fatal: index-pack failed

Plenty of memory and disk are available. It looks like another related issue may have just been posted here as well. Honestly, this seems like a HUGE miss by the Parallels devs.

Does anyone know the easiest way to back out an update? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance -- mikey

2. tafkaks

tafkaks Bit poster

Fixed by downgrade

Fixed by downgradng back to my original installation.

3. jskitz

jskitz Bit poster

I'm having this same issue with precisely the same setup. This is very frustrating because I thought that my git repository was likely corrupt, and went through trying to fsck, purge, garbage collect, etc. until I decided to do the same on the host file system. Everything worked fine there. This has cost me a couple hours today trying to find the issue only to find that it's a Parallels issue. Thanks for your post, otherwise, I'd probably still be searching for the solution. How were you able to downgrade? Did you just install an old version of Parallels over 9.0.24217? I'll have to try and locate an old file, but yes, this is a huge misstep by the Parallels dev team since I'm assuming this is a very common usage pattern... edit locally, test on ubuntu with a shared repository between the two.

4. tafkaks

tafkaks Bit poster

I had the original image I installed from and just used that (removed the old version, reinstalled from the original dmg). Yeah -- this is major bug. I suspect it has borked a lot more than git. I'm not a huge fan of VMWare Fusion, but I think it may be time to start looking at alternatives. The shared FS seems to have been problematic for years, at least with linux guests.

5. tafkaks

tafkaks Bit poster

You can just use NFS

One other approach that you may try is to just use an NFS share on your mac; this is pretty trivial to set up. On the mac, edit /etc/exports and add a line like so:

Code:
    "/Users/<username>/develop/" -network 10.211.55.0 -mask 255.255.255.0  -mapall=<username>

The network and mask parameters indicate what hosts we'll share with; in my case, this network is used by the parallels shared network adapter; yours may differ.

You may need to reload nfsd:

Code:
        sudo nfsd update
    And you can check to see that the mounts are indeed exported

Code:
        showmount -e
    On the Linux host, just install the nfs utilities and mount as you normally would. Something like:

Code:
        mount -t nfs -o proto=tcp,port=2049 10.211.55.2:/Users/<username>/develop  /mnt/develop
    The IP in this case is the ip the guest sees for the host. On a linux box, I just use the `who` command to get this.

6. Dan Ingold

Dan Ingold Bit poster

The same problem exists in Mint Linux 16. Most applications cannot create a file, including such staples as "cp", "tar", and so forth, in addition to "git". Oddly, Eclipse could create a Debug directory and create .o files in it just fine. But trying to "cp" a file into that same Debug directory fails with:

Code:
    % cp /tmp/static_db.c .
    cp: cannot create regular file ā€˜./static_db.cā€™: Cannot allocate memory

BTW, I'm running 9.0.24229

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  7. Y.Morozov

Y.Morozov Bit poster

Any updates on this?
    I'm having this issue right now and have no idea what to do.

8. ianmstew

ianmstew Bit poster

TBH, I'm getting a bit fed up with Parallels (+ Linux) myself. After Ubuntu updated to 14.04 Parallels broke the Unity desktop, and now this. Parallels, please address this so I may spend more time using it and less time debugging.

9. MarkMitchell

MarkMitchell Bit poster

I'm having the same issue when running a git clone inside of my Linux virtual machine

Code:
    Failed to execute git clone --no-checkout 'git@bitbucket.org:my-repo/code.git' '/media/psf/var_www/vendor/MyRepo

fatal: Unable to create temporary file '/media/psf/var_www/vendor/MyRepo/.git/objects/pack/tmp_pack_XXXXXX': Cannot allocate memory                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    fatal: index-pack failed                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    This used to work but is broken in the current version. Seriously guys if you want to compete with VirtualBox in the local dev space you need to be testing this stuff better before updating. The shared folder stuff should just work and please for crying out loud don't just defer to the "just use NFS" answer.

10. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,
    Thanks for bringing this over. Our development team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix.
    Please keep your Parallels Desktop updated, the fix should be included to one of the future builds.

11. BuckFiddy

BuckFiddy Bit poster

I just wanted to add a data point; I'm also having this exact issue after upgrading parallels.

It's very frustrating.

12. ianmstew

ianmstew Bit poster

Andrew, thanks for the update. No update is available yet--please keep us posted!

Ian

13. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac has released a latest build 9.0.24237

In which the list of issues were resolved as mentioned in http://kb.parallels.com/117225

Updating your Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac to latest build will help you in resolving the issue.

Please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/111603 for information on updating to latest build of Parallels Desktop.

14. DougS4

DougS4 Bit poster

I'm having this same problem on Parallels version 12.2.1 (41615). I share /Users from my Mac host to my Fedora 25 guest.
    Code:
    dsimon@freddy ~> mount | grep Users
    /media/psf/Users on /media/psf/Users type prl_fs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,sync,context=system_u:object_r:removable_t:s0)
    dsimon@freddy ~> ls -l /Users
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Jul  2 17:51 /Users -> /media/psf/Users//
    dsimon@freddy ~> df -h /Users
    Filesystem        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /media/psf/Users  465G  310G  156G  67% /media/psf/Users
    dsimon@freddy ~> df -h /media/psf/Users
    Filesystem        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /media/psf/Users  465G  310G  156G  67% /media/psf/Users
    dsimon@freddy ~> cd /Users/dsimon/graal
    dsimon@freddy /m/p/U/d/graal> ls -l graal-jvmci-8/.git/objects/00/7c8e6fb3779b7d32a1da5d83341abb00085c99
    -r--r--r--. 1 dsimon dsimon 45 Oct  4 23:37 graal-jvmci-8/.git/objects/00/7c8e6fb3779b7d32a1da5d83341abb00085c99
    dsimon@freddy /m/p/U/d/graal> cp graal-jvmci-8/.git/objects/00/7c8e6fb3779b7d32a1da5d83341abb00085c99 my-copy
    cp: cannot create regular file 'my-copy': Cannot allocate memory
    dsimon@freddy /m/p/U/d/graal> ls -l my-copy
    -r--r--r--. 1 dsimon dsimon 0 Oct 31 11:04 my-copy

As shown by the df output, there's clearly enough free space in /Users/dsimon/graal to copy a 45 byte file.

15. DougS4

DougS4 Bit poster

I upgraded to Version 13.1.1 (43120) in the hope it would solve this problem but it hasn't. The only things that fixes it is restarting my host Mac which is very inconvenient to say the least.

16. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Can you please send me reproduction steps? It's been a while since we've investigated this issue (since Parallels Desktop 9), there were a lot of changes in Shared Folders functionality, we need to look at this from scratch, probably.

17. DougS4

DougS4 Bit poster

I cannot easily give you reproduction steps. However, I've "solved" the problem in the meantime. Just before the problems started, I had installed McAfee Endpoint Security for Linux 10.2 on my guest system. I uninstalled this software and the problem went away. Hopefully that's sufficient for you to reproduce the underlying issue. Simply install McAfee Endpoint Security on a Linux guest, change into a shared host directory and do an operation that tries to write a lot to disk (e.g. clone a large repo from github).