Running same software separately in BootCamp and Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by James_W, Mar 26, 2014.

1. James_W

James_W Bit poster

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but can't find any mention in the forums....

I use Global Mapper software which is purely one license. It runs fine when I open in BootCamp, but I get a license error message when I try to open in Parallels.

I have spoken to the developer and they say it's to do with it showing as a different machine ID (thus thinking I'm trying to run on more than on computer).

Is there a way to change the machine ID in Parallels so it matches the machine ID in BootCamp, or is there another way around this problem?

2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi James,

To run the program on both Bootcamp and Parallels. We recommend to activate the in Parallels and activate again on Bootcamp if it is prompted.

Thanks,
    Manoj.

3. James_W

James_W Bit poster

Hi Manoj,

Sorry - I wasn't clear enough in my original post - Windows has successfully activated in BootCamp and Parallels. It is actually to do with Global Mapper software that thinks I'm trying to use the software on two different machines with one license.

Global Mapper have advised that the machine ID is different, but they think there may be a way in Parallels to assign the same machine ID as the one BootCamp uses.

Regards,
    James.

4. strells

strells Product Expert

I would guess that the licensing is based off of the MAC ID of a network interface and your VM's network interface address must match what's used in Boot Camp. They're calling it a "machine ID." Assuming Windows 7 (I don't know how to do this in Win 8; I would guess it's similar) in Boot Camp, open a command prompt and type "netstat -r". In the "Interface List" section of what prints out, look for the MAC ID of the network connection(s) in the computer. These will be in the form of six sets of 2 characters using numbers 0 through f (a-f are hexadecimal numbers). Write the MAC IDs somewhere. There might be one for the wifi and another for ethernet.

Reboot into Mac OS X and open Parallels. In the configuration for your virtual machine (with the VM not booted), go to the Hardware tab. For the network interface(s) listed there, copy the "MAC address" listed somewhere (you might need to go back to it at some point), and set the "MAC address" field to match one of the MAC IDs you copied down. Boot the VM and try the program. If it worked, you're good to go. If it didn't, shut down the VM and either change the MAC address to the other ID or add another network interface to your VM (the + button at the bottom of the Hardware tab) with the other MAC ID copied down from Boot Camp.

Post if this fixes (or doesn't fix) the problem.

Steve