Using only 2 out of 3 displays fullscreen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by solus, Mar 26, 2014.

1. solus

solus Member

My Mac Pro is running OS X 10.9.2 (Mavericks) and has three displays.

Parallels Desktop 8 is running in its own Space. I run most Mac apps in the primary Space, and have a separate Space for the fullscreen Windows 7 VM running in PD8 (8.0.18615). The "Displays have separate Spaces" options is disabled in Mission Control, so the system is using the "classic" Spaces behavior.

I would like to run PD8 and the Windows 7 VM so that it uses only 2 of the 3 displays active on the system. I can disconnect the 3rd display through Win7 > Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution, but the moment I restart the VM, all three displays are used again.

Primary question:

I really would like to avoid having to visit the Control Panel every time I boot the VM. Is there any way to configure PD8 or Win7 to only use two displays by default?​

Related question:

I haven't tried PD9 yet, and was wondering if this behavior is consistent in the latest version of Parallels Desktop. Does PD9 handle Spaces, displays, and the new "Displays have separate Spaces" mode differently than PD8? If so, how?​

2. Stefan P

Stefan P Member

Works for my with Mavericks and PD9. Both, Windows and OS X, uses all (I have 3) monititors. I can decide which OS I would like to see on which monitor by a mouse swipe. Usually my Windows uses two and OS X on the remaining monitor. Perfect for me, but is a workaround for the still not reliable working coherence mode I would actutally prefer.

regards

Stefan P