Cannot get backup or copy .PVM file

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SnowTown, Apr 2, 2014.

1. SnowTown

SnowTown Bit poster

I started the processing of upgrading to Mavericks and Parallels 9. After upgrading the OS, my MBP now crashes constantly, I can't even navigate a web browser. I am trying to backup everything before taking it in to the store, as Apple recommends, however when I try to copy the 'Windows 7.pvm' file to my external drive (Mac formatted, Journaled) I receive the error message about halfway through that states:

"The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "Windows 7.pvm" can't be read or written. (Error code - 36)"

How else can I access or backup the Windows image before taking it in? I appreciate the help.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There seems to be a problem with the internal disk itself. I suggest you run the Disk Utility.app and use the Verify/Repair Disk function.

3. SnowTown

SnowTown Bit poster

I did the Verify, it told me to Repair in safe mode. I did as it said and ran the repair on the Mac HD (only one drive shows, no partition for Windows), then verified again after Repair and it said it appeared fine. I restarted, tried to transfer, and once again it gave me the same error about 75% of the way through the transfer.

If you have any other suggestions I will gladly try them. Thanks again.

4. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi SnowTown,

This error usually occurs if incorrect permissions were set to the .pvm bundle or some of the files inside it. Another possible cause for the issue is bad blocks on the hard drive your .pvm is located on.

Please follow the below link for more info:

http://kb.parallels.com/118990

Thanks,
    Looran

5. SnowTown

SnowTown Bit poster

Thanks Looran, that article basically says I have to take it into Apple to have them try to get the files, yes? Because there is an I/O error in the log but there's no information about what to do with that. Can I try installing the newer version of Parallels for Mavericks to open the Windows 7 instance and do something from Windows about the bad blocks or permissions? It was my understanding from Apple that they don't support anything related to non-Apple software, is there an exception to Parallels?

Thank you.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1. Are you using Windows installed on Bootcamp? If not the Windows partition is just a big file on the OS X volume, so there's no question here about Apple spporting Windows or not, it's a big file that is on top of some bad blocks.

2. The newer version of Parallels will not fix your problem.

3. In order to be able to complete the copy you might need to use an utility that is more resilient to errors: http://aeroquartet.com/wordpress/2012/06/06/how-to-copy-a-file-with-io-errors/