Help with windows 7 installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RCE Consultants, Apr 2, 2014.

1. RCE Consultants

RCE Consultants Bit poster

First, if this has already been discussed know that I am too lazy to search for it. So read and please try to assist me. I have Parallels 9 running XP which is essential for me to utilize auto cad and some other preparatory civil engineering software. I wanted to try to upgrade to Windows 7 for speed and hopefully to avoid any xp problems. So i purchased windows 7 (64 and 32 bit) and installed with no problems. The problem is that the instillation has created it's own drive with nothing on it. I guess that I have no choice but to reinstall auto cad and the other programs but it can't even find my files. when I look in my company folder it shows folders labeled photos, music, etc. No files.

So first what did I do wrong ? Can I leave both xp and 7 installed or should I have "upgraded" and overwrite xp or is there some settings that i can adjust to make this work.

How would I remove this extra hard drive and windows 7 to start over anyway?

Thank you for any help. Sarcasm is greatly appreciated.

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi RCE Consultants,

The Windows XP files will be available in the following location:
    Computer -> "C" drive -> Windows.old

When Upgrading Windows, only the files will be available but the application will not be present.
    You have to reinstall the application in order to work in it.

If you are unable to find the Windows.old file or the files which were present in Windows XP. Please add the Windows XP VM as secondary hard-disk to the existing VM as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/112469

Thanks,
    Abdul