Parallels 8 running fine for weeks, suddenly "not suppored on this type of Mac" ???

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by codeman73, Apr 9, 2014.

1. codeman73

codeman73 Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 8 on OS Mavericks. It's been running fine for weeks. Now all of a sudden, when I try to start Parallels, I get this error : "You can't open the application 'Parallels Desktop' because it is not supported on this type of Mac".

What could be causing this?!? I was just running it last night. I didn't update anything. I already rebooted the machine to see if that would help but it did not.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Weird. I'd try uninstalling (trashing) and reinstalling PD.

Steve

3. codeman73

codeman73 Bit poster

Does that keep the Windows install somewhere? So I'd only have to re-install PD, and then point to the Windows install? Or do I have to re-install both PD and Windows?

4. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello Codeman73,

Your Windows Virtual machines will not be affected by this procedure - only Parallels Desktop application will be uninstalled.

Please follow the steps as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/114624 to reinstall Parallels Desktop 8 on your Mac.

Your Windows Virtual Machine will pop up automatically once you reinstall Parallels Desktop on your Mac.

Thanks,
    Maheeshwar

5. codeman73

codeman73 Bit poster

Thanks, that worked. So what happened? Did Parallels just get corrupted somehow? Or is it just part of the mystery/magic of virtual machines that this can happen?

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It's possible there's a a problem with your disk and some files got corrupted as a consequence, I suggest you run Disk Utility.app to verify the sate of your disk.