Using MS Word 2007 in Parallels 9, I can't print two-sided/duplex

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OSNYC1, Apr 10, 2014.

1. OSNYC1

OSNYC1 Bit poster

I have MS Word 2007 in my Parallels 9 on a new Mac 21.5" running the latest of all softwares. I have a Canon MX870, which isn't an old printer; maybe 3 years old. When I hit print the print menu has an HP logo in the lower left corner, which is a bit curious. But more importantly, there is no where in all the print menus or print preferences menu to select duplex or two-sided printing. Any ideas?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You have and HP printer in Windows because you are using the 'Shared Printers' functionality in Parallels. What it does is create a virtual printer in Windows so that you can use the printer simultaneously in the Host and Guest, the emulated printer happens to be an HP.

If you want to use your printer's specific capabilities then you have to connect it directly to the Guest. I believe this Printer can be connected via ethernet and as such it can be connected to your router and be available on your network as a network printer. What you can do is change your network settings in Parallels to Bridge Mode, this will give you Windows a network address in the same subnet as Host, after that you can install the printer as network printer in Windows, as you would in a physical machine.

If you are using it via USB or Bluetooth you'll have to connect to it directly in the Windows VM by going to the Devices>USB/Bluetooth menu.