Avast Antivirus detects Dead-B Virus with each Parallels Update

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Billst10, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Billst10

Billst10 Bit poster

In the past thirty days I've installed two updates to Parallels 9 on my iMac Running (OS X) plus updates to windows 8.1. With each update and at other times also, my Avast Antivirus states that it has detected and quarantined Dead-B Virus. The specific file quarantined is users/shared/parallels/windows 8.pvm. I have had 6 specific detections and quarantines since March 26. Is this and accurate detection? Is this file required for Parallels to run correctly? I do not see any degradation in my parallels or windows performance.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That file, a bundle, is actually your Virtual Machine or one of your VMs if you have more than one. No, it's not safe to delete, you should run an antivirus on Windows to check if it has a virus you can also add the bundle to the exclusion list.

3. Billst10

Billst10 Bit poster

Thanks for the input. Following the intent of your advise, I ran a 100% virus check with Windows Defender on the Windows Virtual Machine. After that came up clean, I went to my Avast Antivirus software and added the windows 8.pvm file to my exclusion list for virus searches. It's been about 4 days and I have not seen the virus warning since completing these actions.