Mavericks 10.9.3 Build 13D38 won't boot

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by michael_aos@mac.com, Apr 11, 2014.

1. michael_aos@mac.com

michael_aos@mac.com Member

FYI, I upgraded an OS X VM from 13D33 -- (or maybe it was 13D28) to 13D38 and it won't boot anymore.
    --

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello,

Could you lease provide us the screenshot of the issue along with the Problem Report ID (http://kb.parallels.com/9058)

Thanks,
    Maheeshwar

3. AlexMBento

AlexMBento Bit poster

Same problem here!

4. tywebb13

tywebb13 Bit poster

Yeah. I updated a virtual machine of 10.9.3 build 13D33 to 13D38 too and it would not start up in parallels desktop.

But then I imported a backup of a parallels virtual machine of 10.9.2 into vmware fusion. When I updated this imported vm to 10.9.3 build 13D38, it starts up properly in vmware fusion.

So it is possible to run a virtual machine of build 13D38, but using vmware fusion instead of parallels desktop.

Overall I prefer parallels desktop to vmware fusion, but for now I'll be using vmware fusion for mavericks betas until a fix is found for parallels desktop for this problem.

5. tywebb13

tywebb13 Bit poster

Virtual machine of the new build 13D43 apple released today also won't boot up in parallels desktop, but does in vmware fusion.

6. michael_aos@mac.com

michael_aos@mac.com Member

Yep, same issue with build 13D43. :-(

7. Scyanide

Scyanide Bit poster

Same issue with 13D45A. Basically started 3 builds ago. I realize these are just beta builds but it is very nice having having development builds of an OS in Parallels to be used for testing one's application. Apple has apparently made some modifications to the graphics area of these latest builds. I haven't had time to really dig deep and figure out the issue. Hopefully people on this forum or better the Parallels team figures it out and releases a small patch.

8. tywebb13

tywebb13 Bit poster

Thanks for that info Scyanide, it means I won't have to test it out with parallels desktop to see if it boots.

But I have updated my vmware fusion vm of 10.9.3 build 13D43 to build 13D45a and it boots. (And btw, vmware fusion itself had an update to 6.0.3 recently too).

9. jebworks

jebworks Member

Has this happened after installing Mac OS X Mavericks using the Recovery Partition method or via the Mac OS X Installer? Using the first one I get an error message during the the install. It shows in the attached screenshot.
    Using the second method, I was able to install the OS but not the Parallels Tools. A disk icon with system files showed up on the desktop. This blocked the launching of the Parallels Tools disk. Trying to remove the first one resulted in some error message warning that this might cause system errors. I did remove it and installed Parallels Tools. Downloading the beta package from Apple worked but after the restart I now have a totally blank black screen!

Of course there is no KB article for this and getting free support from Parallels is an obstacle course with a hundred hurdles. Hope someone provides a fix here. Mac_OS_X_-_Parallels_Desktop.jpg

10. jebworks

jebworks Member

This error no longer occurred during install using Recovery Partition. I was able to complete the install. However, I have not tried to install the public beta Apple has made available as I assume this is the version that has caused the problems reported here and which I encountered when I tried the other version of installing Mac OS X Mavericks (not using Recovery Partition). Does anyone from Parallels want to comment here on this issue? Thanks.

11. Lecta75

Lecta75 Bit poster

Sorry, I forgot that I can't post on public forum about beta products, as required by Apple.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  12. rjvbertin

rjvbertin Bit poster

Well, 10.9.3 is no longer in ß, so you can repost whatever is still relevant?

BTW, when I try the Recov.Partition way, I get the error that "this is not a supported method of installing the operating system" ...

13. AshkanS

AshkanS Bit poster

14. dwbrecovery

dwbrecovery Bit poster

Another workaround is to use Screen Sharing.app. Check that your VM is using the Default Adapter ( Bridged ) and connect to its IP address. Full path is :

/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app

I am using this workaround at the moment on the released 10.9.3.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  15. B.M.L.W

B.M.L.W Bit poster

Same problems here. I need Parallels to fix this asap please. I need this for my OS X classes.