update won't work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LaurenceC, Apr 12, 2014.

1. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

I keep getting a message informing me there is a new update for Parallels Desktop for Mac (build 9.0.24229) I currently have build 9.0.24217) click on install and the screen disappears but nothing happens and if I click on the parallels window update box reappears prompting me to do the update...it just never goes past this screen.

also(different issue)I'm not sure if is a OSX issue or Parallels issue, if i open up finder when I'm on the windows 7 VM and i try to drag finder boxes back to the OSX environment it doesn't allow me to. i used to be able to but not for a few months now..i can drag other programs to the OSX screens just not finder windows..i have to quit them and select OSX window and reopen finder.
    again not sure if this is a Apple OSX issue or Parallels??

any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi LaurenceC,

To update latest build of Parallels Desktop, Please re-install Parallels Desktop on your Mac. Follow the steps given below :

1. Please uninstall Parallels Desktop (http://kb.parallels.com/116992)

2. You may download Parallels Desktop 9 installation file from this link : http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9

3. Double click the downloaded Parallels Desktop 9 installation file with .dmg extension and and it will be mounted to Finder then double-click the Install icon.

Thanks,

Manoj D

3. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

Do I need to backup my VM before doing this?

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi LaurenceC,

Your Virtual machines will not be affected by this procedure - only Parallels Desktop application will be uninstalled.

Thanks,

Manoj D

5. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

Ok i have done done all that and its now updated..thanks for that.

any thoughts on the second issue?

6. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

Ok i have done done all that and its now updated..thanks for that.

any thoughts on the second issue?

7. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi LaurenceC,

Please submit screenshots of the issue you are facing while dragging finder Windows back to the Mac OS X.

Thanks,
    Looran

8. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

its hard to show a screen shot of this....basically if finder is open in the parallels and i try to drag it to OSX it won't go there(but not sure how I can show in a screen shot). it just bounces back,i have to close the finder window and reopen in OSX...

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The issue you are having is Drag and Drop between Host and Guest that is not working, reinstall Parallels Tools, follow the procedure linked in my signature if it still doesn't work after that.

10. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

i have already recently reinstalled the latest update (build 9.0.24229) and that didnt fix it...??

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Tools is installed in the Guest OS and is the collection of drivers that permit Windows to recognize things like Drag and Drop to and from OS X. Quite simply, if drag and drop is not working there is a problem with the installation of Parallels Tools in the Guest OS or it isn't installed at all (some overzealous AVs might interfere with the installation*).

http://kb.parallels.com/en/115835

Parallels Tools troubleshooting: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111730

* Example: Avast! with Hardened Mode turned on doesn't allow Drag and Drop to work.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  12. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

I reinstalled the Parallels Tools restarted Virtual machine, didnt fix the problem. restarted Mac, still didnt fix the problem. Im not running Avast I'm running MS security essentials.

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Did you follow the Parallels Tools troubleshooting articles? Specifically this one: http://kb.parallels.com/8969

14. texeter

texeter Member

I, too, am having the same problem. "A new version is available" and I click on the Install Update button and nothing else happens.

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Didn't the first reply solve your problem?

16. pmittler

pmittler Bit poster

I too am having the same issue and I respectfully submit that if you have an update it is Parallels responsibility to "uninstall" as required and "re-install" as required and not make the user do it. That is just not acceptable. It is lazy programming. I am a new MAC user and am not comfortable with uninstalling anything and re-installing it for fear of losing something and now my Parallels tech support has 'expired' I can't call for help. So... this is not very good ... so I keep choosing to 'skip''.

17. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

All I know is I used to be able to drag finder now i can't...it used to work and something with Parallels changed. I've already uninstalled Parallels desktop 9 and reinstalled, it didnt work I reinstalled Parallels tools it didnt work. I agree with Pmitter on this...

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

* Your fear is unfounded, the 'uninstall procedure' is nothing more than just dragging the app to the trash, you'll not lose any information (VMs and settings are saved elsewhere).

* It is acceptable, it is simple, it's fast, and solves the problem. It's called troubleshooting, it happens with all software. It's not possible to exactly know what is the nature of you specific problem, nor we have to, however, we know this procedure will fix the issue.

* Your Parallels support would say the exact same thing.

I thought you wanted to get that functionality back? If you refuse to follow, step-by-step, the knowledge base articles that were carefully created to help troubleshoot this kind of situations, software installation conflicts, that are not common but may happen due to the nature of software installation on Windows, I can't help you any further.

I'm sorry, you both came asking for help with a problem, you got help and clear, step-by-step instructions how to fix your problems, it's up to you now.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  19. LaurenceC

LaurenceC Member

Ive done all the troubleshooting steps as per the page you recommended and its still not working. I've uninstalled Parallels tools enough times it should have fixed the solution surely.
    my only other option is to start a new parallels VM(to see if it does it in that but that too is a time consuming process reinstalling Windows etc...

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Have you at any point restarted your mac? It possible the service has crashed silently, rebooting will fix this.

If you followed the step by step instructions at the end it says to submit a problem report if it doesn't solve the issue.