Tried KB6955. Have I lost the Product Key?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by Mark F, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Mark F

Mark F Member

I'm trying to create a new vm for Windows7 under Parallels 6. I encountered the "The unattended answer file contains an invalid product key" error and searched and found advice under KB 6955. I followed that advice re unchecking the floppy drive box and then tried to continue with the installation. But W7 will not boot. It gets stuck in the opening "black box" and says that the operating system has not been installed, which of course is true. If I totally delete the W7 vm and start all over, haven't I lost the one time Microsoft Product Key? I had to enter that key at the beginning of the installation process. And anyway, if I start all over won't I get the same "The unattended answer file contains an invalid product key" error again putting me back where I started?

Advice would be appreciated.

Mark F.

2. Mark F

Mark F Member

Problem solved, although I'm not sure how I did it. But on one of my attempts to open W7 in the opening black box there was a message that said something like "insert the W7 CD/DVD and press enter". I did this and the installation process resumed. Eventually I was again asked for the Product Key and accepted the same one I had previously entered. So I guess no damage was done when the installation was interrupted. It took a while but W7 works fine under Parallels 6. NOTE: I did try to open XP while W7 was running and it took forever, maybe ten minutes to open. I think that is because I only have 1 gig of RAM allocated to Parallels and both XP and W7 require lots of RAM.

Mark F.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014