How to get windows apps and CD's to properly install in the Windows 7/8 VM side?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tivoboy, Apr 13, 2014.

1. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

So, I was just trying to install my PC/MAC version of TurboTax today. Booted up my VM, attached my MAC external CD/DVD player and expected to be presented with an install TurboTax dialogue. But, I can't seem to get the windows side to recognize that there is an INSTALL CD in the CD/DVD drive..

The drive is showing up, I can search the drive the disc that is in it, but I can't seem to get any AUTOPLAY or AUTORUN or .exe to start in order to install the software.

I also cannot FIND the xyz.exe installer, otherwise I would probably just do a run c:\xyz.exe but regardless, HOW does one get software to install on the VM side in this case?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

The turbo tax 2013 I got this year was for either mac or windows. I wanted to use it on my windows.
    In order for my vm to recognize it I had to disconnect my cd/dvd drive from vm and then reconnect it (I also had to make sure it was not running on my mac). Then the autorun started.

3. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

I'll give it another shot. There is some pop-up now when I plug something in. Do I want to use it on the MAC or the PC. Is that some sort of system prioritization? I thought I had clicked on the PC and indeed the drive was accesible, but for the life of my I couldn't find the autorun to get it going.

4. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi tivoboy,

If Windows is running and the device can't be used with both Windows and Mac OS X at the same time, you're prompted to choose which one you want to use it with. To use the device with Mac OS X applications, click the Mac icon. To use it with Windows programs, click the Windows screen.

Also, please follow the link below to know how to install other software in Windows Virtual Machine:

http://kb.parallels.com/119310

Thanks,
    Looran