Decrease of VM partition size does not increase size of the mac volume

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tomasvlk, Apr 14, 2014.

1. tomasvlk

tomasvlk Bit poster

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

3. tomasvlk

tomasvlk Bit poster

Unfortunately, I did not help :(

4. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi tomasvlk,

The goal of the expanding disk is to save disk space in the primary OS. It cannot provide you with an infinitely expanding disk for your guest OS.

Expanding disk: The file that stores an image of an expanding virtual disk and resides on your Host OS is small initially and grows as you add applications and data to the virtual hard disk in guest OS. In terms of the guest OS, the virtual hard disk capacity is fixed and equals to what you specified during virtual machine creation. In terms of the primary OS, the size of the virtual disk image file grows as you add new applications and data to the virtual hard disk. Using disks in this format saves space on the hard disk of your physical computer.

Let's say you have created an expanding disk at the default size of 8GB. When you install Windows, it first uses about 1.5GB. With the expanding drive, the actual footprint of the .hdd file in Finder will be the same 1.5GB. As you add files and install programs, the drive file will expand to contain them, up to 8GB.

In contrast, if you have a plain disk at 8GB, Finder will read your .hdd file as 8GB, even if it's totally empty.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thanks,
    Looran

5. tomasvlk

tomasvlk Bit poster

Hi Looran,

thank you for your long answer. But my question is very simple, please give me short and helpful answer. My problem is following: I have 120 GB HDD on my Mac, after installing the Win 7 in your software, the Mac OS drive is full from 115 GB. In the Win 7 settings, i have allocated 19 GB to Win 7 OS, therefore, logically, 100 GB have to be for use in Mac OS. I have about 10 GB of data in my Mac OS, therefore, 90 GB should be available - it is not. What can I do?

By installing parallels I cannot simply lose 90 GB of free space in mac os ... pls help!

6. tomasvlk

tomasvlk Bit poster

Hi Looran,
    Can you please follow-up on my question? Thank you

7. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello tomasvlk,

Please generate a Problem Report ID as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and reply us back, so that it will be useful for us to investigate on this issue.