Password not working cannot log in to parallels, help!

Discussion in 'Accessing your Mac' started by susannes, Apr 14, 2014.

1. susannes

susannes Bit poster

I cannot log in to parallels (Mac Os X server) with my usual password for some reason, please help!

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Susannes,

Please follow the step provided below to reset password in Mac OS :

- Back up your VM (.pvm file) the default location will be saved to either Documents/Parallels folder inside your user folder, or to /Users/Shared/Parallels. Copy the entire .pvm file and place it in another location as back up.

- Restart your Mac OS VM from the recovery partition: hold the Alt (option) key while restarting Mac -> choose Recovery console.
    OS X: About OS X Recovery: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

- Open Disk Utility and run a permissions repair on your startup volume:
    *Select your MacintoshHD on the left side of the window, select "First Aid" tab on the right side.
    *Click 'Repair disk permissions'.
    *After this is complete, close Disk Utility.
    - Open Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    *Type in "resetpassword" (without the quotes) and press return. A Reset Password window opens.
    *Select your username from the drop down menu labeled 'Select the user account' (NOT System Administrator/root).
    *Click the 'Reset' button at the bottom of the window in the 'Reset home folder permissions and ACLs' section.
    *Quit the Password Utility and go back to the main recovery screen.
    *On your keyboard, hit ⌘+ Q and restart your computer (Select Apple logo -> Restart from the menu bar). It's very important that you don't hold down the power button to exit the recovery session, or the ACL reset won't occur.

Thanks,
    Abdul

3. susannes

susannes Bit poster

One More Important Question

It sounds like your instructions will reset the password on my main OS and I need to reset the password on my Snow Leopard Server in the VM.

I followed your instructions to get into the Recovery Partition by holding down the ALT key and starting Parallels but it did not result in getting into a Recovery Partition in Parallels.

I don't understand how resetting the password in my main OS will have any effect on the password in my Parallels VM.

Please reply as to how to reset the password for the OS that I am using in Parallels.

4. RomainB1

RomainB1 Bit poster

Hello I have the exact same problem : password forgotten on the VM which is Max OS X Server Snow Leopard, key like ALT and C or cmd+R, nothing happen, the vm starts normally and I am stuck with the password request.
    I tried tho go in Actions>Configuration>Hardware>Boot>choose at start
    At start I use the boot manager, but I cannot find the recovery mode...
    Any update on this post ?

5. Hello, did you try these instructions?