Mac maverick update help

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by R.JayF, Apr 19, 2014.

1. R.JayF

R.JayF Bit poster

I have upgraded my so to the new maverick without thinking about compatibility issue with my parallels since it did not say any issues. Since I have upgraded I am now incompatible and cannot run my parallels and windows 7. If I upgrade to parallels 9 will I be able to install and keep everything I had on my old virtual desktop? Will I have to reinstall my windows and if so will it see it as a new computer and I will have to get a new key or get a new version of windows? If I uninstall mavericks will I be ok?
    I need help!

2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi R.JayF,

Yes, by upgrading to the latest version of Parallels Desktop you will be able to run Windows on your Mac with Mavericks.

Reinstallation of Windows is not required, please backup Windows Virtual Machine before you make any changes.

3. Grallator

Grallator Bit poster

@ Manoj K.

I too need help with upgrading as I'm not sure of success! I have 10.7.5 and Parallels 7. Your instructions are reasonably clear - upgrade to Parallels 9, then upgrade to Mavericks - and… the Windows virtual machine is unaffected (i.e. no need for lengthy reinstall). However, you have another thread where Parallels won't start after a Mavericks update and you suggest uninstall parallels, repair disk permissions, the reinstall. My questions here are:

- If you uninstall Parallels, fix disk permissions, then reinstall, does that mean you will have lost your virtual machine and will need to recreate it (full reinstall of Windows etc)?
    - Is it common for Mavericks update to lead to this issue? (1 in 2, 1 in 10, 1 in 1000,…?)

At the moment, fear of machine loss prevents me from upgrading my Parallels version!

4. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Grallator,

Even if you uninstall Parallels and run repair disk permission your Virtual Machine will remain the same, so you can reinstall Parallels and run your existing VM.

It is not common to all the Mac upgraded to Mavericks, it is a rare scenario.

5. vernonvision

vernonvision Bit poster

I am currently having the same issue. I upgraded to Mavericks today and I have parallels 9 with windows 8 as my virtual machine. Once I re-install parallels 9 and start it up, will windows 8 just be there as an existing virtual machine, with all my windows apps? Just want to make sure before I completely hose myself. It was quite difficult to get my existing setup to work properly.

thanks,

Mike

6. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello vernonvision,

Re-installing Parallels Desktop will not affect your Virtual Machine.

By default, your Virtual Machine.PVM file will be located in Mac HD/Users/Username/Documents/Parallels or Mac HD/Users/Shared/Parallels

After re-installing Parallels Desktop, your windows Virtual Machine will come up automatically and you can continue using the same way like how you were using it before.

7. vernonvision

vernonvision Bit poster

thank you, Maheesh!

mike