reinstall windows while still moving over installed programs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mpgartland, Apr 21, 2014.

1. mpgartland

mpgartland Bit poster

I have a MBP, 10.92 and Parallels 9.X.

I had a Windows 7 and a Ubantu partition installed.

I had to do a reinstall from Time Machine on my entire hard drive.

The Mac programs reinstalled fine as did the Ubantu partition. However no Windows partition.

I checked my backups and cannot seem to see a .pvm file for Windows (so, probably my mistake). Parallels is looking for a Windows partition but cannot find one.

But here is my question.

Obviously I have to reinstall windows. The programs are a pain to install. However it looks as if the programs are still on my Mac (Applications Parallels/Windows 7 applications/....). They are all there. I have several scientific and data analysis tools that are a pain.

If I recreated a new windows partition, could I somehow migrate the programs over to it without having to do a clean install of each of them?

Ie 1) create new partition 2) Install clean copy of Windows 7 3) Migrate the programs via Time Machine or some other way?

Thanks

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello mpgartland,

The applications will be linked only to the particular Windows operating system in which you are using before.

So it will not possible for you to retrieve or migrate the programs even after installing a new copy of Windows OS.

The only option will be to have the programs re-installed again once after you install the new Windows OS on your Parallels Desktop.