Issues with external display- parallels 9

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MancDienc, Apr 24, 2014.

1. MancDienc

MancDienc Bit poster

I am having issues with Windows running on Parallels 9 on my MacBook pro (13", 2.4ghz, mid 2010).

Windows XP: If I drag Windows window to external monitor (windowed or coherence), the monitor immediately turns black. Dragging it back to Mac OS makes the screen work just fine.

Windows 8 (trial): I can drag window to the external monitor, however the monitor blinks time after time (turns black for 1-2s). Also after 20-30 min of work the screen turns black and connection to the monitor is lost. I need to unplug / replug the monitor.

I tried:
    1. Updating and then reinstalling parallels
    2. Installing Windows 8 trial (see above)
    3. Fiddling with modality/coherence/windowed/full screen modes- all cause the same problem.
    4. Tested monitor (without parallels, it works fine for hours and hours)
    5. I tried restoring hidden messages option as outlined here, but it did not work. Maybe that's the issue? I have absentmindedly pressed Alt while choosing one of the options.

I am not sure what to do really.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. MancDienc

MancDienc Bit poster

External display flickers / blacks out/ loses signal with Parallels 9

Windows XP. When I drag Windows XP window (windowed, coherence, or any other) to the external monitor space, the screen turns completely black (still working, but black)

Windows 8.1. Speculating it might be Win XP issue, I installed trial Win 8. I can drag and use window on the external space, however:
    1. External monitor flickers / shortly blacks out (1-2s) randomly
    2. After some time (10-30min) the monitor blacks out and loses signal. I have to unplug/plug the adapter.

System:
    1. MBP 13" (2010, low end model with 320m)
    2. Parallels 9 (updated)
    3. Mac OS X mavericks (updated)

So far I tried:
    1. Updating everything
    2. Experimenting with coherence/modality/full screen/windowed modes
    3. Installing Win 8 trial
    4. I could not reset the "presentation mode" dialog somehow. Maybe that's the problem?
    5. Reinstalling Parallels

P.S. Somehow my previous post disappeared (at least to me). In case it's still there, feel free to delete the old version. Sorry :)

3. MancDienc

MancDienc Bit poster

I have now tried disabling 3D acceleration and vertical sync. To no avail. Truly frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. Ciro_Bruno

Ciro_Bruno Bit poster

I'm facing the same problem you report with Windows XP.
    Any new about it?
    Thanks!
    Regards, Ciro.