UPnP/Network Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by VictorPlankfoot, May 10, 2014.

1. VictorPlankfoot

VictorPlankfoot Bit poster

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro/OS X 10.9/Parallels 9/Windows 7. I am trialling Parallels right now and have an odd problem. I can connect to the internet using the virtyual machine, indeed I am posting this using it. However I cannot browse my local network, when I click on the network tab all I can see are the devices on the MBP. I am using a bit of software that needs to search my network for a server, when it performs that search I get this error:

UPnP is not activated. Please activate UPnP via the Control Panel i.e. start the service SSDP-search.

SSDP Discovery is on as is UPnP via this route Control Panel>Network & Sharing Centre>Advanced> Network Discovery

When I start in Boot Camp everything works as expected so I'm pretty sure it's Parallels related. Any ideas?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Switch to bridge networking in the VM networking preferences, that way the VM will be on the same subnet as the rest of the LAN.

3. VictorPlankfoot

Specimen,

Thanks for taking the time to reply this is driving me mad so I appreciate it. I have tried all the options in Virtual Machine>Configure>Network 1 with no luck, none of them work. I had a look at the TCP/IP settings in the VM, they're on a different range 10.xxx.xxx.xxx as opposed to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx but the subnet is still 255.255.255.0. This was being set by DCHP I changed it manually to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx but still can't look around the network.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Please, reset everything to default.
    I'm talking about the VM configuration preferences, not the general Parallels program preferences, the only thing you need to change is switch to bridge mode, nothing else.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

6. VictorPlankfoot

Specimen,

I think have set these already. I open Parallels, Windows starts, I click on the menu Virtual Machine, select Configure then select Network 1. None of the options in the pull down menu allow me to browse my network but some allow me to browse the web. Is this the correct path? While I did that Avast updated so I definitely have connection to the web but still can't see anything on my local network.

Last edited: May 10, 2014