Extending Display for guest OS Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MattRo, May 20, 2014.

1. MattRo

MattRo Bit poster

Hi I have a MacBook Air running Parallels 9 on it and I am connecting it to a Thunderbolt display. Now on a regular Windows 7 pc laptop, you can connect to a monitor and under Control Panel<Display<Connect to a Projector you can choose to extend the desktop to an external monitor so that you can drag programs to the secondary display while doing other things on the laptop display. Now I would like to replicate this behavior for my Windows 7 VM on the Mac. I have connected to the Thunderbolt display and it extends the Mac OS. I can start Parallels and put it into full screen and duplicate it to the Thunderbolt display, but I can't quite find a way to put the Windows 7 desktop on the Mac and extend it to the Thunderbolt display as I would on a regular Windows 7 pc. Has anyone accomplished this? Thanks!

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MattRo.

It is not possible to extend Windows 7 Virtual Machine to Thunderbolt display if Windows 7 is in Window mode on Mac monitor, you need to run Windows 7 virtual machine in full screen mode to Extend Windows 7 screen to another display.

3. MattRo

MattRo Bit poster

Hi Ram!
    I had put Windows 7 into full screen mode first. Then I performed the steps I described in my initial post trying to extend it to the Thunderbolt monitor. The monitor however retained the Mac wallpaper.

4. Ram@Parallels

5. MattRo

MattRo Bit poster

excellent, number 3 there did it! Thanks!!

6. Ram@Parallels

Hi MattRo.

It's great to hear that your issue has been fixed and you were able to work on it without any issues.

Feel free to get back to us if you need any assistance.