Parallels Desktop 9 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (as a guest OS) compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite has just been made available for the Mac Developer Program.
    At this time, we do not have information on running Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
    As soon as we receive any information from the Parallels Engineering Team on this matter the information will become available.

2. JasonBeee

JasonBeee Bit poster

Thanks for jumping on this quickly. You can mark my ticket (1916248) as solved now that you are looking into it.

Good luck!

3. teknishn

teknishn Junior Member

It actually seems to be working, which is a first for new OS. But it was crashing my UI repeatedly. Not 100% sure on this, but turning off retina mode, lowering graphics to 256mb and disabling 3D has seemed to stabilize it. It me just be the latter disabling the 3D that did the trick. We'll see. Parallels engineers are usually pretty quick to get us fixes for betas which I love. VMWare is a dumpster fire on Yosemite.

4. Codex7

Codex7 Bit poster

Ha! I bet Parallels will charge an upgrade fee again for parallels to work on Yosemite!

Just like they did with the move from Lion to Mountain Lion. I stopped supporting Parallels at Parallels 6 when this happened. I don't mind paying an upgrade fee for additional functionality etc. but the upgrade fees to have the same product work on a new version of OSX is just disgraceful.

Save your money and rather use the free alternative or the competition.

5. After Hours

After Hours Member

Or use a product that has been well-supported and updated year after year while Apple moves the goal-posts on developers. The coding team at Parallels doesn't get their groceries or rent for free, and I've found NOTHING that didn't require updates to code to meet newer OS releases and hardware requirements every two cycles.

I find your post highly unprofessional. Do I like paying for a tool that should work year after year? No. On this, we agree. But tell me, Codex7, how has Apple done you favors with their changes over the last 15 years? Do you still run System 9.2, or OS 10.2 or 10.5? If so, you are in a very, very small minority of the developer community. I have far more beefs with Apple dumbing down of the OS -- particularly the server product since 10.6 -- but it is the world in which we live. I see your posts complaining about a lack of compatibility for a product that is one day old, in Alpha status, and with which Parallels likely has had in hand for just as many minutes as you have. Why don't you wait until Parallels comes up with more details on their product working on this alpha release (or the converse I want: 10.10 running as a VM in Parallels 9. Your disparaging remarks are a bit premature … why not wait and see what Parallels actually does before roasting them?

6. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

teknishn - was this a clean install or an upgrade of an existing VM?

7. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

the fact that parallels runs ON 10.10 is pretty amazing in and of itself. usually when a new OS X beta drops parallels just craps out and we get the usual "it's beta/developer, we don't support it yet" messages. so, 1 for 2...

8. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

So I tried an upgrade of a 10.9.3 (Mavericks with no Parellels tools installed) VM to Yosemite and it dies at the blue boot screen.

9. edward_k

edward_k Bit poster

Doesn't work on this... Parallels starts up but as soon as the virtual machine initializes, Windows 8.1 x86, it locks up the computer and the computer reboots. So if you want to run Parallels, definitely hold off on the developer previews.

Model Name: MacBook Air
    Model Identifier: MacBookAir3,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBA31.0061.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.66f61

Update - For those who need to run Windows under Yosemite, Oracle VirtualBox works for now. It's no speed daemon but should carry some people over until Parallels announces support for Yosemite.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  10. edward_k

edward_k Bit poster

Andrew, just to clarify - in the subject you suggest this thread is for running Yosemite as a guest OS but in the message you said running Parallels on Yosemite. Is this thread for running Yosemite as a guest or Parallels running on Yosemite?

11. JonRosen

JonRosen Bit poster

It's supposed to be a thread about Yosemite as a guest, that is, running a virtual instance OS X 10 under Parallels Desktop 9, and I am looking forward to hearing the answer.

Jon

12. AstridD

AstridD Bit poster

Hi I asked the same thing on twitter and I got this answer, so both.
    https://twitter.com/ParallelsCares/status/474082646407262209

13. jebworks

jebworks Member

My guess is the majority will be interested in running Yosemite as a guest OS on Parallels 9. After all that's what virtual machines are best for, testing a new OS. I've downloaded the developer preview app file and wait for instructions how to install it as a fresh guest OS.

14. AstridD

AstridD Bit poster

For now yes, but in the fall I'd like to still be able to run Parallels on OS X Yosemite.

15. eliotw

eliotw Member

I suspect you are running Parallels on Yosemite as opposed to running Yosemite as a VM.

Tried installing the Yosemite Preview on a Mavericks VM and the first portion of the upgrade goes fine but upon the first reboot it's put into the Darwin Boot Loader screen and it won't boot from the disk and continue installation. Booting to the Recovery Partition and running Disk Utility's 'Repair' will then boot the VM back into 10.9.

I guess we need some magic...

16. jebworks

jebworks Member

Of course, but that's for when Yosemite has been officially launched.

17. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

I saw exactly the same thing, reverted using a snapshot.

18. JasonBeee

JasonBeee Bit poster

Finally found out what the error was - had to record the screen as verbose mode was still too quickly rebooted to see what was going on:

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 4.56.18 PM.png

kernel compression is bad.
    Can't find kernel cache​

Parallels 9.x will likely need a guest OS darwin boot loader update in order to boot Yosemite.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/os-x-10-10-yosemite-dp1-kernelcache/

The kernel cache compression type is different in Yosemite :/

JB

19. RJDev

RJDev Bit poster

Estimate time to resolve this issue?

Andrew,

Does Parallels have any idea when a solution can be offered?
    It would be really annoying if my friend with that other virtualization program has Yosemite running faster as i do ! :)

20. Takuro

Takuro Bit poster

I'm personally really baffled about people's general sense of entitlement on this thread, as if customers are facing some great injustice for lack of support of an OS that hit beta not even a full week ago, and mind you, not even to the general public but only to paid members of the Apple Developer Program. It's not as if the Parallels engineers are deliberately trying to break compatibility with new releases of OS X — there are legitimate low-level changes to things like the Darwin boot loader that necessitate revisions to the Parallels hypervisor. I'm sure that by the time the OS X Yosemite beta is released to the general public later this summer, they will have a solution in place based on the existing Parallels 9. Nothing you say or do in terms of complaining is going to make them rush this.