Mac OS X Yosemite - Install on Parallels 9

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by KalanH, Jun 5, 2014.

1. KalanH

KalanH Bit poster

So I've been wondering how I can install Yosemite on Parallels when support becomes available...

Can I install a fresh VM from my Yosemite.dmg/iso?
    or do I have to upgrade to Yosemite in a current VM (Mavericks or similar)

Thanks...

2. Joel_R

Joel_R Bit poster

I could not get Yosemite to install directly to a fresh VM. I had to make a Mavericks VM first from my restore partition (easy to do with Parallels) and then do the Yosemite install from inside it. But who knows . . . When Parallels issues an update so Yosemite actually boots and runs as a guest, they might also make it possible to install directly. We'll find out over time . . .

3. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Parallels Customer Support.

Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite has just been made available for the Mac Developer Program. At this time, we do not have information on running

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. As soon as we receive any information from the Parallels Engineering Team on this matter

the information will become available.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

4. StarShot

StarShot Member

I'm running Windows 7 with Parallels 8.0.18619. When I first attempted to install Yosemite (10.10.x), the installation stalled. I immediately tried a 2nd time and that time it installed fully. I've been using it now for about 2 weeks with very little problem. There ARE some things that don't work properly in OS X. I think it may have ruined my "Time Machine" installation or maybe not. I did just buy another backup disk (Passport 1 TB for OS X) which is now working fine. My "Snagit" program doesn't work anymore. In Parallels, everything seems fine although to be truthful, I haven't had a chance to run every Windows program. Excel for Windows works fine. I'm able to printer wirelessly from both OS X and Win 7.

I DO miss my Snagit though.

I probably should have stated that I ONLY installed Yosemite over Mavericks and didn't alter my long running Parallels 8.x.x.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  5. After Hours

After Hours Member

The original poster seemed to want to run Yosemite in a VM in Parallels 9 under a different OS version. This is also what I would like to do, rather than run Parallels 9 _on_ Yosemite. Hopefully from a clean install. Looking forward to when the engineers have this issue resolved, too. :)

6. jebworks

jebworks Member

I really don't know why people seem to consistently confuse two issues: 1) running Yosemite beta as a virtual machine while running the present Mac OS 10.9.3 version and 2) running Parallels 9 on the Yosemite beta version. Those are two totally different questions. On the first ken I would expect this to be possible soon to test the beta version and what could be run on it. For the second I have no problem waiting until Yosemite is officially launched in autumn. Can folks please keep these posts separate to avoid this confusion! It woukd really help the discussion.

7. After Hours

After Hours Member

Joel,

I've done the same, but once the initial installer runs and reboots, I'm left with a parallels screen where I choose to book from the Macintosh HD or the Recovery partition. Selecting the Macintosh HD icon (hitting enter or return) does nothing. The Recovery partition dumps me into the Mavericks recovery sw. Did you have this experience (and how did you get past it)?

8. Joel_R

Joel_R Bit poster

After Hours,

That is exactly the same situation I have. I have not found any way past it yet.

9. HexFreq

HexFreq Bit poster

Is there any news on Yosemite guest OS on Parallels?
    This was the reason I upgraded from V8 to V9 with the hope it may work.
    Happy to wait so long as Parallels can run it before it is launched fully by apple.
    Then the upgrade becomes a bit redundant.

Drew

10. ngocphamm

ngocphamm Bit poster

Having this exact problem. Has anyone figured out how to bypass this screen?

11. FScroggs

FScroggs Bit poster

I am having the same issue. At the prompt for Mac HD or Parallels tool. Cannot proceed

12. pjboud

pjboud Bit poster

Same problem here.

13. Rick056

Rick056 Junior Member

Same here. Lets get moving on this Parallels. This is a big reason why virtualization software exists....

14. Grumpy115

Grumpy115 Bit poster

Same situation here and think the same as BrantR!! Not ready/willing to try Yosemite on my actual system. Wanted to take it out for a spin safe & sound in a VM.

15. pjboud

pjboud Bit poster

I finally caved in and added a 50GB partition on my primary machine to install Yosemite. It's a bit of a pain having to reboot to switch OS version (that was the main reason for my purchasing Parallels in the first place), but at least it give me a secure option to test out Yosemite.

16. Hairbymaurice

Hairbymaurice Bit poster

+ 1 for me

Come on Parallels, this can't have taken you by surprise!

17. Banned

same here...

18. Grumpy115

Grumpy115 Bit poster

At least there are indications on the Parallels Support twitter stream that they are actively working on it.

19. FScroggs

FScroggs Bit poster

I used my parallels license key to purchase VM Fusion at a discount ($49) and Yosemite seems to work on Fusion.
    I don't plan to abandon Parallels, but wanted to take Yosemite out for test drive and found an article that indicated VM Fusion works.

20. Kok KeongF

Kok KeongF Bit poster

When will Parallels come out with an update? I have no choice but to use VirtualBox now to test out Yosemite, it's quite slow but at least it went through the boot screen and Yosemite start the installation after the reboot!

Parallels, please get this fixed!