Initial Migration of PC Hard Drive to MAC

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by pghbear, Oct 18, 2008.

1. pghbear

pghbear Bit poster

I recently purchased Parallels desktop for MAC; installed the Transporter Agent on to the Vista PC that I wanted to Migrate to the Mac. Migration fails and I get the following error message: "An error occurred while Parallel Transporter was collecting information about source computer. Parallel Transporter Agent cannot access required libraries. Reinstall Transporter Agent and try again."

I did some digging around and found one issue where it said that if the "snapman.sys" file did not load into c:\windows\system32\driver directory, uninstall Transporter Agent, reboot and reinstall. I have tried that several times and each time I keep getting the same error message.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium version. It was pre-installed on the pc when I purchased it.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Are there any successful solutions?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I recommend you to uninstall all security software you have on Vista during migration, nd also any custom device drivers

3. keithr

keithr Bit poster

John

Thanks for replying to pghbear. I am getting the same error but my configuration is a little difference. I am running parallels release 5624 on OS X 10.5.5 and am attempting to transport from windows XP sp3 Microsoft virtual pcs running on XP. There are two vms that I am moving, the first one transported just fine, but the second one is throwing the error. They are the same setup, actually copies of the vm with different software installed in each for development. (The machine names have been changes) The windows firewall is turned off and I have not installed virus software on these vms.

I have attempted to install/uninstall/reinstall three times now and get the same error. Is there some other setting I need to look at? or a files I need to verify got installed?

Thanks
    Keith

4. John@Parallels

What software is installed in failed PC?

5. keithr

keithr Bit poster

John

Good morning. The VM has XP SP3, Office Pro 2003, Visio 2003, and the oracle 10g database client. All the Microsoft software has the latest patches as of yesterday.

Thanks
    Keith

6. John@Parallels

7. keithr

keithr Bit poster

John

That worked. I ran the Transporter on the windows box and copied the converted files to the mac. The new VM started up fine and runs OK after parallel tools installed. Windows did not want to be re-registered but Office 2003 did. Is this expected?

Thanks
    Keith

8. John@Parallels

Yes, because Office 2003 is bound to Network card MAC address

9. Manuel Rossetti

Manuel Rossetti Bit poster

I have this same problem

I am trying Transporter for the first time. I downloaded:

Parallels Transporter for Windows 4.0 from www.parallels.com/download/desktop

I installed it. It seemed to install. The agent starts. When I attempt to use the transporter I get the message:

"An error occurred while collecting the information about the source computer. Parallels Transporter Agent cannot access the required libraries.
    Reinstall Parallels Transporter Agent and try again."

I tried reinstalling. Didn't work. I tried downloading the 3.0 version referred to in one of the thread messages. Install okay but same result. I do not see the snapman.sys driver.

The only thing that I haven't tried is to uninstall my Symantec virus protection. Actually, I tried it but it requests a password during the un-install process that I don't know.

Any ideas why this isn't working.
    Thanks

10. Manuel Rossetti

system information

I am trying to transport an XP machine v 2002 running SP3

11. Manuel Rossetti

system information

I am trying to transport an XP machine v 2002 running SP3

12. Mark Reese

Mark Reese Bit poster

Transporter Agent Issue

Why is the Transporter Agent asking for my Windows CD when teh video on the Back to mac edition said it was a one step process.

13. RomeoA

RomeoA Bit poster

The last post was Dec’09, and it’s now Sep’10. I’m trying to convert my physical XP to Parallels on MY Mac and I am having some issues with it as the same of last year. Transporter is having some issues. The thread suggests that I disable customer drivers and such. Parallels seem to be a decent product.

14. FrançoisD

FrançoisD Bit poster

I've got the Same Problem

On my VISTA PC, running the parallels transporter agent, I get "An error occurred while collecting the information about the source computer. Parallels Transporter Agent cannot access the required libraries.
    Reinstall Parallels Transporter Agent and try again."

It happens whether I choose to transfer data by Wifi or through an external hard-drive.

Francois

15. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Instead of Transporter, you could attach the Windows drive to your Mac (use a USB or Firewire or eSATA enclosure if necessary), create a Boot Camp virtual machine that points to the Windows drive, then use the Import from Boot Camp option (which is new for Parallels Desktop 6).

16. jeremytammik

jeremytammik Bit poster

same problem using transport agent on XP

i have installed the windows transport agent on my XP machine. it crashes with this message at the very first step, when prompting me to connect the external storage device.

Connecting External Storage
    Preparation
    An error occurred while collecting the information about the source computer.
    Parallels Transporter Agent cannot access the required libraries. Reinstall Parallels Transporter Agent and try again.

i have reinstalled, rebooted, retrired numerous times, same error every time.

sent the error report to parallels.

what else can i try?