Black screen in Win 7 guest after upgrade to parallels 8.0.18619

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MrCmonster, Jun 27, 2014.

1. MrCmonster

MrCmonster Bit poster

My VM has been working fine up until the 8.0.18619 update that I just got today. Now when I boot my Win 7 guest I can't get the windows menu to show up when alt clicking the parallels logo. If I exit coherence, Windows is just showing a black screen. I am able to boot into safe mode in Windows. I tried uninstalling the Parallels Tools in safe mode, but I get an error that the "windows installer service could not be accessed". Does anyone have any way to fix this?

2. MrCmonster

MrCmonster Bit poster

For anyone else this happens to, I figured out how to enable the Windows installer service while in safe mode. http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/windows-installer-safe-mode But, I had to manually add the registry entry using regedit.exe I was then able to uninstall the Parallels tools while in safe mode. Once I rebooted and reinstalled parallels tools, I'm back to normal. :)

3. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello MrCmonster,

Glad that your issue was resolved. And thank you for sharing your solution as well.